Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #1

Share |

Laminate? Install cabinets before?

I am getting ready to install a laminate tile floor in my bathroom. (I already know and understand the disclaimer LOL). I was going to install the flooring then install the vanity/top and cabinet to make for a smoother look without all the 1/4 round. I am thinking now that I might not be able to? Floor won't be able to shift? I think it will be fine as long as all the other joints are spaced away from wall. Like to get some other ideas on the topic. Thx. Mike.

MikeVila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:37 PM   #2

ALSO: What's that formula for getting equal sized first and last row pieces. Length of room divided by the width of boards. If it's less than half a full board then.........

Bathroome = 11'.
Board width = 12.875"
I end up with a 1/4 board so I can just take a 1/4 board of first row and that will give me a half row at end if i'm thinking correct. There is a formula to get exact first and last row same width.

Old 11-03-2010, 12:33 PM   #3

Guess i'll just go ahead with my install. Can't wait. I know that the commode goes over the installed laminate so I can't see why the vanity would be any different?
Old 11-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #4

Noob here, so you can take my advice with a grain of salt if you want. I would do the vanity after the floor.
240sx4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:03 PM   #5

Hey mikevila,

I am Gregg with The Home Depot in Chicago. Sorry nobody has responded to your question. Do you already have the vanity in place, or are you installing a new one? I would install the flooring around the vanity. Laminate is a floating floor and is meant to be that way to account for expanding and contracting. Pieces will start to separate from each other if some of the floor is stuck in one place.

I also wouldn't install laminate in a high moisture area like a bathroom. Most laminate flooring doesn't hold up very well with constant water or humidity. Is it a full bath? A ceramic or vinyl tile would be ideal. Any type of vinyl floor would work better. If you don't have a shower in that bathroom then you can probably get away with the laminate. Hope I am not too late. Let me know what you are going to do. -Gregg
gotogregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:01 PM   #6

I don't want to put floor down after because there is too much design on the front toe kick area and would not be able to use moulding. I will install vanity over the floor. I know your not supposed to put laminate in bathroom. It is the master bath and my wife and I are the only ones whom use it so should be no issues with prolonged moisture or wetness on floor. I have seen more and more that it is being used in bathrooms but always know that it's your own risk. I'll get pics when finished.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
Wood Flooring & Carpentry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeVila View Post
I don't want to put floor down after because there is too much design on the front toe kick area and would not be able to use moulding. I will install vanity over the floor. I know your not supposed to put laminate in bathroom. It is the master bath and my wife and I are the only ones whom use it so should be no issues with prolonged moisture or wetness on floor. I have seen more and more that it is being used in bathrooms but always know that it's your own risk. I'll get pics when finished.
I've installed laminate in a half bath before, and thought it was a bad idea. Never in my wildest dreams would I recommend using it in a bathroom with a tub and shower. You will be replacing it very shortly. After about 6 months you will start to notice the end of the boards curling (de-laminating) Good Luck

PS. I've heard from other professionals that they have used silicone to seal up the perimeter gap around the walls, to help block water, and moisture from working it's way underneath. Just passing it along, it's up to you if you want to use it.
lawndart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 01:14 AM   #8

Hi,
If you have a plain, old laminate cabinet, you will be turned off by your idea to prim and also paint it for the update. You will not need to run to the paint store in giving a cabinet the facelift. By using some of contact paper from the local hardware store, you are able to give a cabinet the new life without the dirtiness, stains and also fumes from the paints or even primers. Here is more information for you. It contains some easy steps that you can take to get what you really need.
For the first step, you can sand your cabinet with the 220-grit sandpaper in order to smooth a surface of your cabinet and then remove the stray substances or even finishes that may cause rippling or even bubbling in order to occur underneath a contact paper.
For the second step, you need to wipe down a sanded surface with the tack cloth in removing all of the loose particles or even dirt. After that, measure the different pieces of your cabinets and also set them aside. They can be used in cutting the right sized pieces of the contact paper for your cabinet.
For the next step, it is important for you to cut the pieces of your contact paper that is available in different colors and also faux wood grain, it is according to the measurements that you take.
For the last step, you will need to apply your paper slowly to start at the corner, therefore it will line up evenly with your cabinet. The rubber brayer can help with your prevention of the bubbles under your contact paper.

Old 11-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #9

Doesn't that floor 'float'???
jlhaslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

MIKEVILLA, I am not trying to start anything, but, Why are you asking for advice if you intend to ignore it all?
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
SDC (11-04-2010)
Old 11-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #11

You can do it . Just don't expect any product warranty to hold up !You will be OK with the floor under the vanity , If it buckles then take the base off and cut it where it is jammed with a toe kick saw . You already know you are doing it wrong . So why worry , it will last untill it gets wet , then it will buckle . But it may be a log time till the toilet floads or not .
tacomahardwoodfloors.com
tacomahardwood. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
SDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
MIKEVILLA, I am not trying to start anything, but, Why are you asking for advice if you intend to ignore it all?
This is a very good question.....
SDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:46 PM   #13

Dang sorry lol. I understand if it gets wet but if you are careful not to splash
Water all over and any drops you wipe up immediately I don't see how it get ruined. Ihavwnt had a toilet flood in the 8 years I've owned my home so now I just jinxed myself lol. Has anyone else noticed on the DIY shows how more often they've been using Laminate in bathrooms?
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #14
Pro Flooring Installer

You should see how much on the flooring pro forums we joke about those DIY shows. Most of the stuff they show is wrong. Worst of all was probably Bob Vila. But I have seen wrong advice on all of them.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #15

Yah I know just like how they use mastic for everything instead of thinset. I was going to tile it but changed mind at last minute.