Laminate & Hardwood In The Same Room, Good Or Bad Idea?? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-27-2007, 11:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Laminate & hardwood in the same room, good or bad idea??

Hello Everyone:

Quick flooring question...

My hallway/kitchen are all hardwood (honey oak). The living room and den are carpeted. I wanted to replace the carpet with laminate floors. The hallway opens up to the living room and den. Questions are as follows:

Being that the hallway joins the den, the hardwood floor would butt-up against laminate. Is that a big "no no"? Honestly, not sure if it looks that great. We've had a very hard time trying to match the color of laminate to hardwood.

Would it look silly to have two different styles of wood in the house? For example, hall is honey oak, and the laminated den would be teak. Just curious...

Other alternative out there besides carpet?

Thanks,

Joe

Advertisement

phatjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #2

There is nothing really wrong with doing it that way. Appearance is key. I wouldn't even try to match the existing wood. I'd go with a different pattern and or color to accent it. Make it look like it's suppose to be different and you'll end up with better results.

Advertisement

Old 05-27-2007, 12:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

We have red oak hardwood butting up against a figured cork floor between our hallway and study. I think it looks great.

I'd agree that you shouldn't try to match the color, unless you can match the color and appearance PERFECTLY. Just coming close looks shabby. It's better to use different floors to set off the two spaces.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:37 PM   #4
Home Improvement Guy

Rewards Points: 250

I would install a laminate threshold with "T molding" where the 2 floors meet. There's a good chance that they won't be the same height and this will also help tie in the different colored floors.
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2007, 12:56 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Many rooms have several woods together sometimes as patterned flooring often as different furniture finishes. The trick is to find woods that complement each other and the other furnishings of the room. There are other ways to transition rooms other than the flooring bringing elements of color from one area to another, if only as an accent, is a tried and true method.

Personally I'd be more concerned using laminate in a living and dinning room where hardwood is in the kitchen and hall.
Zero Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2007, 04:42 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 1,000

I recommend a tile laminate if any.
A real hardwood next to a fake hardwood can be a serious clash. Even if you choose a different species.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #7

I was wondering if you have decided what to do...we are in the same situation except our kitchen is hardwood...Bruce gunstock oak and we are taking out our carpet from the living room. We want to put laminate in the living room, but are very nervous about putting them next to each other. We brought some large samples home and are trying to find some that transition well....not exactly the same color as the hardwood. It is hard , but we also do not want carpet. Someone mentioned a "T molding" If someone could explain what that is exactly I would appreciate it.
jlberry4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 12:49 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 250

A T molding is a small threshold that your laminate supplier will know about if you ask. You would leave approximately a 3/4" gap between the two different types of flooring and install a plastic channel in the gap....the T molding fits into the channel and covers the gap, acting as a transition between the two floors. (assuming they are very close to the same thickness. If they are not, it would be a good idea to add a layer of subfloor to get it as close as possible.)
send_it_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:25 AM   #9

I am curious if you made a decision. We are faced with the same problem and could use some advice. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlberry4 View Post
I was wondering if you have decided what to do...we are in the same situation except our kitchen is hardwood...Bruce gunstock oak and we are taking out our carpet from the living room. We want to put laminate in the living room, but are very nervous about putting them next to each other. We brought some large samples home and are trying to find some that transition well....not exactly the same color as the hardwood. It is hard , but we also do not want carpet. Someone mentioned a "T molding" If someone could explain what that is exactly I would appreciate it.
callcrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 10:53 AM   #10
MN

I would never advise anyone to use laminate flooring up next to real hardwood. Even with the advances in laminates, it is still going to be tough to find complimentary styles.
I'm not sure what the reason would be for looking at this option? Is it that you figure hardwood is too expensive?
Actually, there are hardwoods less costly than many laminates, plus you've added considerable value to your home by installing hardwood vs. laminate.
I think that laminates have there place, but not next to a real hardwood.
good luck
TileAndTimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:57 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 1,000

i think any kind of laminate next to real hardwood is gonna look cheap.

Advertisement

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote