Laminate Floorinig Install Question - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Laminate floorinig install question


Hello everyone..

I need your advice/help with my install. I just finished my basement reno and I'm ready for the flooring. I'm going to be laying down DriCore as a subfloor on top of concrete. I'm also going to be putting down a 12mm commercial grade (AC5) laminate floor by Kronotex.

My concern is this. The area of coverage is "t" shaped, whereby the top of the T is approx. 45x15 and the stem of the T is approx. 30x20. Should I be using a transitional piece (T-moulding) or should I just lay the flooring all in one direction???

Please advise.......

I've uploaded a drawing in PDF if that helps
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Rough Drawing of Basement with measurements.pdf (14.0 KB, 32 views)

Advertisement

Sunnybono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: WV
Posts: 3,021
Rewards Points: 2,222
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


I think it's more a matter of how you want the floor to look than anything else. I'd try laying out a few pieces in each pattern and see which you prefer.

Advertisement

md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to md2lgyk For This Useful Post:
Sunnybono (09-02-2013)
Old 08-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,169
Rewards Points: 2,538
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


I agree with md. I'd probably lay it with the boards aligned lengthwise down the base of the T and no transitions.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Sunnybono (09-02-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 08:17 PM   #4
Retired & Not Likin' It
 
Jim McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the real Northern California
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


Some laminate flooring is not intended to cover spans that large without a break, like "T" molding that allows for an expansion gap under it. Check with Kronotex to see if that is explained in their installation literature, or if you need to contact them to clarify that issue. http://kronotexusa.com/installation/

In my opinion, a continuous floor, laid in one direction, tends to make a space look larger and more open. But there are times that it can be more aesthetically pleasing to change directions. You might try some mock layouts to see what looks best for your place.

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim McClain For This Useful Post:
Sunnybono (09-02-2013)
Old 09-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,169
Rewards Points: 2,538
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McClain View Post
Some laminate flooring is not intended to cover spans that large without a break, like "T" molding that allows for an expansion gap under it. Check with Kronotex to see if that is explained in their installation literature, or if you need to contact them to clarify that issue. http://kronotexusa.com/installation/
+1 to that.
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:53 PM   #6
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


Thank you everyone who has responded. I spoke to the distributor and he said that it was not necessary to add a tansition piece.

However here is my new question. What are installers using as laminate cutters?? I plan on using a skill saw and table saw but i was thinking about saving all that dust from flying
Sunnybono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #7
Retired & Not Likin' It
 
Jim McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the real Northern California
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


I never met a distributor, in my 35 years of flooring experience, that I could trust to know about every product they distribute. Why not contact the manufacturer and see what they advise?

Laminate sawdust is pretty noxious. I used a laminate cutter. You can get them at your distributor, prob'ly, or ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40 Use it, then sell it back on ebay.

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North Carolina, USA
Posts: 3,169
Rewards Points: 2,538
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


I prefer laminates in the thicker range - 12-15mm. Do those laminate cutters work on the thicker sizes?
jeffnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:30 PM   #9
Retired & Not Likin' It
 
Jim McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the real Northern California
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


There is a laminate cutter that will work on all thicknesses of material. You have to decide what you want to budget for tools and find the tool that works in your budget. If you were a pro, you might not blink at spending nearly a tousand bucks for the right tool. I don't know what a DIYer would blink at. The link I shared has some for as little as 20 bucks, but I've got no idea what their limitations are. Mine cut through anything I put in its throat, but I spent over $600.00 on it. I didn't get near that when I sold it after I retired.

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:34 PM   #10
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McClain View Post
I never met a distributor, in my 35 years of flooring experience, that I could trust to know about every product they distribute. Why not contact the manufacturer and see what they advise?

Laminate sawdust is pretty noxious. I used a laminate cutter. You can get them at your distributor, prob'ly, or ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40 Use it, then sell it back on ebay.

Jim
You're absolutely correct Jim. I've already emailed Kronotex USA for their advice. I'm hoping they will help out even though they do not sell the Mammut AC5 line in the States.

I like the laminate cutter that you recommended. Do you know of a store in the GTA (Toronto area) that carries this unit?? The store on Ebay from Nova Scotia wants $125 + $40 for shipping.
Sunnybono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McClain View Post
There is a laminate cutter that will work on all thicknesses of material. You have to decide what you want to budget for tools and find the tool that works in your budget. If you were a pro, you might not blink at spending nearly a tousand bucks for the right tool. I don't know what a DIYer would blink at. The link I shared has some for as little as 20 bucks, but I've got no idea what their limitations are. Mine cut through anything I put in its throat, but I spent over $600.00 on it. I didn't get near that when I sold it after I retired.

Jim
Correct, i think price will dictate in this product..
Sunnybono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnc View Post
I prefer laminates in the thicker range - 12-15mm. Do those laminate cutters work on the thicker sizes?
The King Canada tool that Jim has recommended cuts 19/32" thus its cuts greater than 12mm which is 1/2" but to be exact it should cut 15mm but no greater.....
Sunnybono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 PM   #13
Retired & Not Likin' It
 
Jim McClain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: the real Northern California
Posts: 95
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybono View Post
I like the laminate cutter that you recommended.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnybono View Post
The King Canada tool that Jim has recommended...
Am I missing something here? I did NOT recommend any brand of laminate cutter. The link I provided goes to an ebay page that lists everything using the "laminate flooring cutter" search term. There's a whole bunch of them on that page, none of which are tools I would specifically recommend because I am not familiar with them. I was just suggesting resources, not actual products. If I was asked to recommend a cutter to a pro, I would send them here: http://www.bullettools.com/flooring/...ooring-cutters I would not recommend a DIYer spend that kind of money on a single project.

Jim
Jim McClain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 12
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Laminate floorinig install question


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McClain View Post
Am I missing something here? I did NOT recommend any brand of laminate cutter. The link I provided goes to an ebay page that lists everything using the "laminate flooring cutter" search term. There's a whole bunch of them on that page, none of which are tools I would specifically recommend because I am not familiar with them. I was just suggesting resources, not actual products. If I was asked to recommend a cutter to a pro, I would send them here: http://www.bullettools.com/flooring/...ooring-cutters I would not recommend a DIYer spend that kind of money on a single project.

Jim
Sorry Jim, I thought you were recommending the King Canada product on the Ebay page as it appeared as the 1st product on the page.

Advertisement

Sunnybono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ac5 , dricore , kronotex , laminate floor , transition moldings


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Laminate Install Question StuartT Flooring 9 01-25-2013 10:14 PM
laminate v. door jamb question rookiework Flooring 3 10-10-2012 08:57 PM
Ready to lay laminate... Question... KUIPORNG Flooring 6 04-13-2007 03:17 PM
Laminate Selection & Install Question sdcards Flooring 1 10-13-2005 05:12 PM
Question about mills on laminate flooring cpsilo1 Flooring 3 07-25-2005 01:05 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts