DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Flooring (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/)
-   -   Laminate floorinig install question (http://www.diychatroom.com/f5/laminate-floorinig-install-question-186152/)

Sunnybono 08-29-2013 09:46 AM

Laminate floorinig install question
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone..

I need your advice/help with my install. I just finished my basement reno and I'm ready for the flooring. I'm going to be laying down DriCore as a subfloor on top of concrete. I'm also going to be putting down a 12mm commercial grade (AC5) laminate floor by Kronotex.

My concern is this. The area of coverage is "t" shaped, whereby the top of the T is approx. 45x15 and the stem of the T is approx. 30x20. Should I be using a transitional piece (T-moulding) or should I just lay the flooring all in one direction???

Please advise.......

I've uploaded a drawing in PDF if that helps

md2lgyk 08-29-2013 04:19 PM

I think it's more a matter of how you want the floor to look than anything else. I'd try laying out a few pieces in each pattern and see which you prefer.

jeffnc 08-29-2013 05:52 PM

I agree with md. I'd probably lay it with the boards aligned lengthwise down the base of the T and no transitions.

Jim McClain 09-01-2013 07:17 PM

Some laminate flooring is not intended to cover spans that large without a break, like "T" molding that allows for an expansion gap under it. Check with Kronotex to see if that is explained in their installation literature, or if you need to contact them to clarify that issue. http://kronotexusa.com/installation/

In my opinion, a continuous floor, laid in one direction, tends to make a space look larger and more open. But there are times that it can be more aesthetically pleasing to change directions. You might try some mock layouts to see what looks best for your place.

Jim

jeffnc 09-01-2013 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McClain (Post 1236941)
Some laminate flooring is not intended to cover spans that large without a break, like "T" molding that allows for an expansion gap under it. Check with Kronotex to see if that is explained in their installation literature, or if you need to contact them to clarify that issue. http://kronotexusa.com/installation/

+1 to that.

Sunnybono 09-02-2013 04:53 PM

Thank you everyone who has responded. I spoke to the distributor and he said that it was not necessary to add a tansition piece.

However here is my new question. What are installers using as laminate cutters?? I plan on using a skill saw and table saw but i was thinking about saving all that dust from flying

Jim McClain 09-02-2013 06:07 PM

I never met a distributor, in my 35 years of flooring experience, that I could trust to know about every product they distribute. Why not contact the manufacturer and see what they advise?

Laminate sawdust is pretty noxious. I used a laminate cutter. You can get them at your distributor, prob'ly, or ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40 Use it, then sell it back on ebay.

Jim

jeffnc 09-02-2013 06:10 PM

I prefer laminates in the thicker range - 12-15mm. Do those laminate cutters work on the thicker sizes?

Jim McClain 09-02-2013 06:30 PM

There is a laminate cutter that will work on all thicknesses of material. You have to decide what you want to budget for tools and find the tool that works in your budget. If you were a pro, you might not blink at spending nearly a tousand bucks for the right tool. I don't know what a DIYer would blink at. The link I shared has some for as little as 20 bucks, but I've got no idea what their limitations are. Mine cut through anything I put in its throat, but I spent over $600.00 on it. I didn't get near that when I sold it after I retired.

Jim

Sunnybono 09-02-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McClain (Post 1237313)
I never met a distributor, in my 35 years of flooring experience, that I could trust to know about every product they distribute. Why not contact the manufacturer and see what they advise?

Laminate sawdust is pretty noxious. I used a laminate cutter. You can get them at your distributor, prob'ly, or ebay: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trks...at=0&_from=R40 Use it, then sell it back on ebay.

Jim

You're absolutely correct Jim. I've already emailed Kronotex USA for their advice. I'm hoping they will help out even though they do not sell the Mammut AC5 line in the States.

I like the laminate cutter that you recommended. Do you know of a store in the GTA (Toronto area) that carries this unit?? The store on Ebay from Nova Scotia wants $125 + $40 for shipping.

Sunnybono 09-02-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McClain (Post 1237325)
There is a laminate cutter that will work on all thicknesses of material. You have to decide what you want to budget for tools and find the tool that works in your budget. If you were a pro, you might not blink at spending nearly a tousand bucks for the right tool. I don't know what a DIYer would blink at. The link I shared has some for as little as 20 bucks, but I've got no idea what their limitations are. Mine cut through anything I put in its throat, but I spent over $600.00 on it. I didn't get near that when I sold it after I retired.

Jim

Correct, i think price will dictate in this product..

Sunnybono 09-02-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffnc (Post 1237314)
I prefer laminates in the thicker range - 12-15mm. Do those laminate cutters work on the thicker sizes?

The King Canada tool that Jim has recommended cuts 19/32" thus its cuts greater than 12mm which is 1/2" but to be exact it should cut 15mm but no greater.....

Jim McClain 09-02-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnybono (Post 1237331)
I like the laminate cutter that you recommended.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunnybono (Post 1237336)
The King Canada tool that Jim has recommended...

Am I missing something here? I did NOT recommend any brand of laminate cutter. The link I provided goes to an ebay page that lists everything using the "laminate flooring cutter" search term. There's a whole bunch of them on that page, none of which are tools I would specifically recommend because I am not familiar with them. I was just suggesting resources, not actual products. If I was asked to recommend a cutter to a pro, I would send them here: http://www.bullettools.com/flooring/...ooring-cutters I would not recommend a DIYer spend that kind of money on a single project.

Jim

Sunnybono 09-02-2013 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim McClain (Post 1237348)
Am I missing something here? I did NOT recommend any brand of laminate cutter. The link I provided goes to an ebay page that lists everything using the "laminate flooring cutter" search term. There's a whole bunch of them on that page, none of which are tools I would specifically recommend because I am not familiar with them. I was just suggesting resources, not actual products. If I was asked to recommend a cutter to a pro, I would send them here: http://www.bullettools.com/flooring/...ooring-cutters I would not recommend a DIYer spend that kind of money on a single project.

Jim

Sorry Jim, I thought you were recommending the King Canada product on the Ebay page as it appeared as the 1st product on the page.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved