Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-12-2011, 06:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Exclamation

Laminate flooring without expansion joint

**The floor has been laid at a 45 degree angle**

Hey guys, So my parents are in construction and have been doing it for a long time and are quite knowledgeable, but we are running into a bit of a problem with the flooring. It's hard to explain so I'll draw a picture of it to illustrate better. Below is a picture of my condo that we are laying floor in. I've made lines for the direction that the floor is going and we're near complete, but have an issue with the top room highlighted in green.

Basically, we started laying the floor from that corner in the very bottom right hand of the image. Then we got to the area highlighted in green and started over again i the very bottom right of that room. (this was done after measuring to see what size the first board needed to be in order to end up with a full board at the very end where it meets the line from the living room. What we end up with is an angle that is different from the board coming in. This is NOT a problem with the spacing between the boards, but the angle at which the two boards meet.

Can anyone tell me what we should have done or if we needed an expansion gap somewhere, etc, etc? The entire unit is about 1450sq ft, and the living room/dinning room (it's a loft) is no more than 20x30 I believe.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I need to move Monday and we're in a pinch!

Platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 06:47 PM   #2
Love for Construction

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platypus
**The floor has been laid at a 45 degree angle**

Hey guys, So my parents are in construction and have been doing it for a long time and are quite knowledgeable, but we are running into a bit of a problem with the flooring. It's hard to explain so I'll draw a picture of it to illustrate better. Below is a picture of my condo that we are laying floor in. I've made lines for the direction that the floor is going and we're near complete, but have an issue with the top room highlighted in green.

Basically, we started laying the floor from that corner in the very bottom right hand of the image. Then we got to the area highlighted in green and started over again i the very bottom right of that room. (this was done after measuring to see what size the first board needed to be in order to end up with a full board at the very end where it meets the line from the living room. What we end up with is an angle that is different from the board coming in. This is NOT a problem with the spacing between the boards, but the angle at which the two boards meet.

Can anyone tell me what we should have done or if we needed an expansion gap somewhere, etc, etc? The entire unit is about 1450sq ft, and the living room/dinning room (it's a loft) is no more than 20x30 I believe.

Any help is greatly appreciated as I need to move Monday and we're in a pinch!
Why didn't you start the green highlighted room at the piece that entered through the doorway, that would have insured everything stayed lined up.

Old 03-12-2011, 06:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by <*(((>< View Post
Why didn't you start the green highlighted room at the piece that entered through the doorway, that would have insured everything stayed lined up.
My parents understood it that you couldn't run the flooring backwards... ie: snapping it into place, etc.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:04 PM   #4

You can run laminate backwards. Take some loose peices and try it.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 11:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
You can run laminate backwards. Take some loose peices and try it.
They gave it a shot tonight, but it was too late to do any banging, so they couldn't see exactly how hard it was...

The wood I'm using is 12mm (+ build in pad) Shaw (color: luster kahn or something) laminate with VersaLock.
Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 AM   #6

You should not have to bang the laminate together. Just raise the boards up at an angle and fit them together. You mahave to put a whole row together at a time.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 11:00 AM   #7

Quote:
You should not have to bang the laminate together. Just raise the boards up at an angle and fit them together. You mahave to put a whole row together at a time.
It looks like its coming together now... no banging, but slight tapping. Thank you for your help.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:03 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
That is the easiest way i found to get them together . Also eliminates the risk of damaging the end joints.

Floor Doc is offline   Reply With Quote