Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2008, 08:36 AM   #1

Share |

laminate flooring on uneven sub floor?

I have some dupont real touch laminate flooring that i am going to be installing in my attic that i just finished. Since the house is about 50 years old it has settled some and the sub floor in the attic(1/2" osb) is a little un level in spots. Is this going to be ok to install the laminate on? Or is there something like a self leveler that i can use to get the floor somewhat level? Thanks for any advice on this.

Last edited by ponch37300; 07-15-2008 at 10:40 AM.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 11:02 AM   #2

Anyone have any advice on self levelers or if laminate can by installed on a subfloor that is in some spots out of level about an inch in ten feet? Thanks

Old 07-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #3

It should be 1/6" over 6ft per most manufacturers recommendations.
HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #4

So is a self leveler my best option to fix this? Or is there other solutions? Thanks
Old 07-17-2008, 03:45 PM   #5

I have always shied away from the self levellers. Mostly, because none of the installers I worked with used them, so I never really learned about them. I just mix my own floor patch and find my own level. So I really can't answer your question on self levelling. It may be easier, I don't know.
HomeDepot23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 03:47 AM   #6

Does anyone have a recomendation on either a self leveler or a floor patch brand or product? I really don't have any experience with leveling floors. thanks
Old 07-24-2008, 06:53 PM   #7

I'm in a similar situation in my kitchen, and I'm really under the gun (the appliances and cabinets arrive this weekend).
I was told I could install the laminate over the existing linoleum floor, but I'm finding sags in 2-3 spots from water damage (a bad sink drain) from 15-20yrs ago.
The floor isn't ready to collapse by any means, but there is some minor rot and unevenness.
I thought I could perhaps add some additional padding under the laminate in the trouble areas...not so?
dalerdaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:56 AM   #8

I'm assuming it's a wooden subfloor since it's an attic. The thing about a lot of your standard self leveling compounds is that you can't use them on wood without adding a layer of mesh to give it flexibility to cope with the different expansion properties of the wood. Most are designed mainly for concrete. There is a brand I know of that has fiberglass in the compound which forms it's own flexible mesh when you mix it up and pour it out. When I get to work today I'll look up the brand name and post it for you. This would be the easier way to go than having to deal with a seperate mesh. With self levelers you basically mix them up, pour them out and trowel them roughly into place. They finish leveling themselves after that. (note you have to use a primer on the floor first).
Old 07-25-2008, 06:08 AM   #9
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Do not use a leveling compound. Consider using the standard leveling material for hardwood floors. Roofing shingles, layered like shims to level the areas.

Good Luck on your project.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 10:05 AM   #10

The leveler I was talking about is Drytec 7600. You can use this for your application but like Atlantic said there are other options since it floats. It depends on how much gap you have to fill. Smaller gaps would be fine with layers of shimming material.
Old 07-25-2008, 03:01 PM   #11

Atlantic, Thanks for your repley. Can you explain how to go about leveling with shingles. Just lay them on the sub floor and then lay the laminate over the shingles or do i need any kind of barrier? Can you smell the tar ever? Thanks
Old 07-30-2008, 08:14 PM   #12

Does anyone know if i just lay the shingles on the sub floor to level it out or if i need to do anything else to the subfloor or shingles after they are leveled? Do these shingles leave a tar smell in the house after the laminate is installed? Thanks for your help with this.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:17 AM   #13
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
Does anyone know if i just lay the shingles on the sub floor to level it out or if i need to do anything else to the subfloor or shingles after they are leveled?...
Cut the shingles to the size pieces that you feel you need. Add layers, based on size, to slowly build up (step up) to the level required for each area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponch37300 View Post
...Do these shingles leave a tar smell in the house after the laminate is installed?
No, you will not have a tar smell. Example: Standard material placed under hard wood flooring is roofing felt (tar paper). There are no complaints from it.

Good Luck with the project.
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 06:49 AM   #14

Thanks atlantic. Do i need to fasten the shingles down at all so they won't shift over time or just lay them on the sub floor and then lay the laminate over them. Thanks again guys
Old 08-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #15

Question

Hi.. I'm a newbie here to hijack this thread. but I can definitely see becoming a regular on these boards, due to the amount of DIY trouble I get myself into...

I have a newly finished basement where I'm planning to install laminate flooring. The floor is bare concrete right now. While mostly flat, it does have a high area and the slope up to it is pretty harsh -- almost an inch over four feet. The general contractor I'm working with says that if I install the planks perpendicular to this "hill," it should "bridge the gap" and produce a good result. I'm a bit skeptical... but I'd appreciate knowing what you folks think.

Am I also a candidate for shingles? It'd be great to be able to use some of these to even out this slope... I REALLY don't want to pour an inch of self-leveling compound over about 500 sq ft! If shingles are good, do they go under the underlayment? And to echo the previous question, do I need to attach it to the floor?

And if shingles don't work, are there any other possibilities?

Thanks so much
Justin

monitron is offline   Reply With Quote