Laminate Flooring Suggestions - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2010, 10:26 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laminate Flooring Suggestions

Hey guys

I been lurking around this board for a few months, getting ready to put down a laminate floor in my house. Im a first time homeowner, owned it for almost 3 years now and the carpet has to go.

I been shopping brands around and GEEEZ there is like 100 differnet kinds to buy.

Here is my situation- I have 2 dogs 55 and 85 lbs so that is why I am going laminate over wood. I have seen alot of nice stuff but have alos read reviews online.

I have a 22x14 great room, a hall way ruinning the opposite way so I was goiung to transition strip and then run it the opposite direction down the hall. then 2 12x10 bedrooms in the back i was going to run same way as the hallway.

I need to know what brands you guys suggest, I hear great things about Wilsonart- but where can you buy it at and see it first?

I found some Lamett and Tarkett that I like but have read nothing about them. Im looking for single planks and I like beveled but am not definitely stuck to it.

Also Columbia and Alloc look nice.

I am looking to spend about $2.50 to $3 a sq foot and have about 700 Sq ft total.

After I find a brand I will have some installation questions.

Thanks for all your help guys, I plan on being on this board for years to come!!!

Advertisement

Ownmy1sthome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

I've used Shaw products in a few commercial locations and it has done well. We used a light commercial grade(#3, residential-light commercial) since one was an antique storeand the other a clothing botique. Both fairly low volume locations.
Your issue is trickier due to the dog. Their nails will produce a concentrated force on the floor. You might need to go to a #4 or #5(high commercial)to hold up.
If you go to each companies web site, they will have retail finders that will sell the product locally based on zipcode.
Ron

Advertisement

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

I'd get rid of the dogs before I'd put laminate over hardwood floors. Is that a possibility? Dog urine can ruin any type of floor covering from what I understand. If giving the dogs up for adoption is not a viable option for you, then I'll defer to the flooring experts on here. Best of luck to you, sir, and congratulations on your first home.

Last edited by Handy Vinny; 07-16-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Handy Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #4

Vinny

I chose laminate over hardwood, I am not laying laminate over hardwood. I cant tell if your post was being sarcastic or real but not alot of help, who the hell would get rid of their dogs for a floor- Not this guy!

Any other suggestions on brands guys? I found some Wilsonart but it is very expensive. What about ALLOC or Columbia- Will they hold up? I just dont want a disaster on my hands

thanks guys
Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ownmy1sthome View Post
Vinny

I chose laminate over hardwood, I am not laying laminate over hardwood. I cant tell if your post was being sarcastic or real but not alot of help, who the hell would get rid of their dogs for a floor- Not this guy!

Any other suggestions on brands guys? I found some Wilsonart but it is very expensive. What about ALLOC or Columbia- Will they hold up? I just dont want a disaster on my hands

thanks guys
I don't think you understood my post about floor ratings Low end, reasonably priced, residential laminate flooring will not hold up to the traffic you described. You will need to go to a commercial floor and you will need to spend about $5.00, or more, per sq. ft.
The ratings go from 1 to 5. Minimum rating I would put down is 4, and that would only be considered after I spoke to the manufacturer.
Ron

Last edited by Ron6519; 07-21-2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,292

Ownmy1sthome, you do realize that when the dogs urinate on the laminate that they will ruin it don't you? And ALL house animals urinate on the floor. As someone who has removed and installed floor covering for almost 40 years, despite what the pet owners say, all dogs and cats urinate on the floors sometimes.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #7

Rusty

I appreciatte what you are saying and I read about many pet owners on here that have laminate and it is fine.

Im just looking for some honest suggestions on good brands and what holds up well, Ron I appreciatte you as well but I am sure some pet owners do not have commercail flooring and it is fine, thats what I am looking for

thanks
Old 02-21-2011, 01:25 PM   #8

If you are concerned about dogs and cats urinating,then choose bamboo engineered floor. It will hold up and stand the test of time. Costco, Home Depot, and Lumber Liquidators have ample supplies for cheap.
tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:40 PM   #9
Retired

Rewards Points: 75

As far as a brand name Armstrong makes a good product.
Mike
Old 02-21-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,026

I used tarkett in our kitchen and dining room. I have a 130# dog and we have another dog that it and the owner are squating at our house for awhile the other dog is about 60-70 lbs and is a big spook. Scared of wood floors and tears across the floor when we let them out and in. This is the one I used, I think cant remember the name off hand http://www.tarkettna.com/Default.asp...ku=36160100064

Its held up very well, I havent seen the dogs mess it up at all and the other dog never gets it nails cut.

I also would like to state that my dog does not go to the bathroom on our floors, he hasnt since he was about 4 months old. If the other dog does, he's gone no ifs ands or buts.

Good luck.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:11 PM   #11

Within each manufacturer there are different floors for different applications. There's a grading system from light use through commercial.
Grading System.
AC1-rated flooring is for intermediate-traffic areas;
AC2-rated laminate flooring material is suitable for most residential installations.
AC3-rated products are adequate for medium-traffic areas in small commercial locations.
AC4-rated laminate flooring is for higher-traffic areas in commercial locations.
AC5-rated laminate is for heavy commercial traffic use.

Read more: Types & Grades of Laminate Flooring | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/about_5542028_ty...#ixzz1EdaazAGU

Check out the rating before you buy it or you maybe putting something down in an area that won't hold up to the intended use.

Ron

Advertisement