Laminate Flooring For Shower Walls?? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2012, 08:52 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Smile

Laminate flooring for shower walls??

I'm new to this diy stuff! I will be completely remodeling my bathroom soon and right now I'm just tossing ideas around. I am stumped for what to do with the walls where my corner tub/shower will be. I want something that is easy to clean and maintain and that is durable. I can't do a wall surround because there is a window in the shower/tub. I do not like tile and so don't want to go that route. I enjoy the natural stone look but can't afford the real thing. I was looking into using laminate flooring for shower walls. Will this work? Will it be able to maintain that much moisture from a shower? I'm just not sure....any advice, on this project or anything else pertaining to a bathroom remodel would be greatly appreicated!

Advertisement

qwertzy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 738

Very very bad idea.
Most laminite is not even below grade rated never mind butting it in an area you know is going to get wet.

Ever installed laminite on a floor? It needs to be tapped into place. How would you do that if it was on a wall?
Laminite needs to be able to expand and contract.

The best thing you could do is get rid of that window.

There's lots of enclosures you can cut and install around a window.
Just remove all the trim install the enclosure and installed vinyl lumber trim instead of the old wood and seal it up as it's installed.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
qwertzy81 (11-26-2012), tribe_fan (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 258

I have done exactly as Joe stated - cut around the window. I used Oak trim and put four coats of polyurethane, and it held up well. (5 plus years)
I like the vinyl trim idea better. (It also has a marble sill - sloped slightly so any splashes run off.)

How low is the window?
tribe_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 05:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

The window is pretty big-37 x 32. And there is 42" between the bottom of the window and the floor. I don't want to remove the window completely. Because it is rather large, it provides a lot of natural light and once I replace it with glass block, it will provide even more. I guess I will just have to break down and use tile for that section of the bathroom then, since I'm not completely sold on cutting a surround to fit around the window. Also, I really want to go for a natural stone look, which I can get with tile. Thank you for your advice! It is greatly appreciated :-)
qwertzy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,700

Make sure as stated you slope the sill so the water will run off.
ToolSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laminate flooring , shower walls