Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-10-2007, 02:12 PM   #1

Share |

Laminate Flooring & Scratches???

Various makers of laminate flooring position their product as being scratch resistant. So in the real world how true is this? Are there any brands that are better than others?

I am getting ready to replace carpet with wood laminate but I am concerned about the house dog taking a run and slide across this floor...should I be?

rodder51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 07:04 PM   #2
remodeling pro

Well, this could pose a problem for any hard surface short of ceramic tile. Any natural wood, engineered wood, or laminate product can be scratched. The advertising claims are all in the semantics, the operative word being "resistant". I'm sure some where out there exists a durability test study, but I am not familiar with it. The laminates will be more resistant than the woods to scratches, and I suspect you will find, as in most things, a direct relationship between the quality of the laminate (thickness and hardness), and the price. I would stay away from the bottom end products of any manufacturer.

troubleseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 11:03 PM   #3

Great words. I agree.
Also let's remind that the manufacturers do not have a warranty for scratching. Their warranties only specify they are resistant to "micro abrasions". Those will show up in high traffic areas after 20 years or whatever. Micro scratches basically.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:47 AM   #4

I would be concerned, but.... I have a "lower-end" laminate floor in my kitchen, hall and family room for 4 years....I have 2 large and active Golden Retrievers who spend all thier inside time on those floors, and haven't caused a single scratch...my only problem was a little divit caused by droppping a pointed heavy object from about 6 feet up.

It was from home depot, I think it was trafficmaster, can't even find it anymore.
mt232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM   #5

I have 2 adjacent rooms, the kitchen and the den. The den has Armstrong laminate flooring which was installed by the previous owners and the kitchen has 2 year old Pergo engineered oak flooring. Both floors have been abused by my dogs running around playing, high heels, spills, dropped items, construction debris from remodeling, etc. Both rooms have wooden legged chairs in them as well.

The laminate floor is in excellent condition without a scratch, but you get that hazy look when seen from a distance, like from the kitchen.

The engineered floor looks 100 times better (being real wood), but gets some small scratches on the surface. There is no discoloration, just tiny indentations (for lack of a better word). You have to get down on your hands and knees to actually see them. Even when the kitchen floor is dirty, it still shines like new.

I installed the engineered wood floor myself. After seeing the two floors next to each other, I will only install a real wood flooring product in my home in the future. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Jeekinz; 08-23-2007 at 01:17 PM.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:42 AM   #6

One good rule of thumb, with a few exceptions, is that you get what you pay for when it comes to flooring. The main difference to laminates is what their made of. The lower end "cheap" stuff is made of compressed wood product and glue. Like one would make newspaper out of. This is for DRY areas only like bedrooms, living room, etc. Then there's the stuff made of compressed wood that you'd make MDF board out of. This combined with glue is pressed layer upon layer. These can standing up better in areas that may see a bit of moisture such as a kitchen. They do make "green treated" laminates, but I don't know where you can get them, and I couldn't expect them to be 100% water proof or scratch proof. Some good companies are Shaw, Dupont, and the higher end of TrafficMaster. The thicker the laminate depends on what kind of weight will be put on it. Such as if you have a couch and coffee table, then an 8mm would be fine. If you have a pool table or piano, then I'd go for at least a 10 mm. It'll handle the weight better and may not "dent" over time as easily. As far as scratches. I tell my customer's that nothing is scratch proof, especially with pets and kids. Not saying it'll have deep noticeable scratches, but my have fine scratches that are noticeable when the light hits the laminate a certain way. Some people notice, some don't. Everyone's situation is different.

Solosrose is offline   Reply With Quote