Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-14-2005, 08:18 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laminate flooring repairs

Hello two years ago i laid a laminate floor and now waters got into it because as i was watering a plant the water spilled onto the floor without me noticing this has caused the floor to stain how can i fix this

cheers

sean

mrsean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:49 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

WATER , this is a weakness of most laminate flooring It can handle water but NOT standing water. It getts in at the seams. Did the floor stain or is somewhat raised and swollen? Is the floor a glue together or a glueless type? Their has been many manufactures of laminate style flooring and various styles. If it a glueless and you are near the last completed edge. You could remove the flooring reversing the installation. Of course this is almost never the case. Before I go any further go ahead and make sure you don't have any warranty and can you find some replacement flooring of the same type for the repair. Also consider how much the stain is bothering you. Repairs can be made but they are not always seamless. Meaning the repair its self may be more apparent then a small stain.

PS I have assumed the stain is under the surface other wise it would just be a watermark on the surface that should easily wipe off with a mild cleaner.

Old 08-15-2005, 10:15 AM   #3

hi
the stain is on the surface only but it has spread over the past few months what can i do
Old 08-15-2005, 12:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

The surface of the laminate should not stain from water. I believe it is just under the surface. Does it look to be widening from the seam? Is it a glue or non glued flooring? Most likely it will be best to contact the manufacture and find out what they recommend.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:55 PM   #5

hi it is non glued
Old 08-18-2005, 11:01 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 25

Once the water is in there is nothing to do but replace the affected sheets, you should be able to get replacements no problem and as you fitted it yourself you'll know how to do it - good luck
nicknackynoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 11:29 AM   #7

hi i have tried to lift the flooring but i am worried that i will damage the rest of the floor would it help it i used varnish instead
Old 08-19-2005, 08:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

If this is glueless laminate flooring then it will come up the same way you put it down, find the place where you finished, lift off any trim or remove the skirting if you fitted it after. Now lift the length upwards and the laminate board will come away smoothly. To get down to individual boards just lift upwards and away from each other - this makes more sense when you do it!

If it is glued then your options are very limited and I'd be ringing the insurance company by now as the lot will need replacing, and as my excess is only £50 and am covered for accidents I'd let them sort it out.

If you are desperate to sort this out without doing the above then yes, some laminates can be sanded and varnished. If the board hasn't warped then this may be worth doing.

Do you have the type of board that has 5mm of solid wood on the top?

Cheers
nicknackynoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:01 PM   #9

i don't know of a laminate that can be sanded and varnished. Engineered hardwood can but I don't believe any laminate can. correct me if i'm wrong

imported_lovetoDIY is offline   Reply With Quote