DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Laminate flooring questions

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
I'm going to put down laminate flooring in my kitchen. There's already vinyl sheet flooring there, I think that's what it's called. Anyway, I'm going to remove that stuff. The floor under that is concrete. Is there a glue to glue the laminate stuff down to the concrete? I assume the vinyl was glued down. Should i clean the concrete before gluing the laminate? What should I use to clean it with? Thanks

#5 ·
Well I really want to get rid of that green junk that's there. Just me.

I thought you could glue laminate down? Or is that hardwood? I'm not sure I like the idea of floating floor.

So I can just put the stuff down over the vinyl and snap it into place and that's it?

#7 ·
So I can just put the stuff down over the vinyl and snap it into place and that's it?
All laminates require a pad beneath. Some have it pre-attached, most require it separately. Just roll the pad out, then click the laminate together over that. The only reason to remove the vinyl would be if you cannot accommodate the 1/4-1/2" raise in the floor height.

You'll want to run the flooring under the first legs/wheels of the range and dishwasher (just adjust the feet up to keep them level), and completely under the fridge, so you can still remove them.

Other than that, leave 1/4" - 1/2" gap between the floor and anything stationary (walls, cabinets, etc) and cover the gap with shoe molding.

Pretty simple install, it just takes time (and saw blades).

#6 ·
Laminate flooring does not need to be glued or nailed. Some hardwoods need to be glued, but definitely not laminate. They just click and lock together. It's the easiest type of flooring to install. It's a floating floor. As already mentioned, you can leave the vinyl flooring and install the laminate over it.

#8 ·
I was going to get some with the pad attached, seems like that would simplify things. I was going to move the fridge to put the new stuff down under that. My only problem with height is the intake vent for my ac/heater is in the kitchen. The bottom of it is flush with the current flooring. I think I could remove it and just move it up a bit. I'm also going to replace all the baseboards. They have paint on them from the previous owners painting attempts.

#9 ·
As mentioned...laminate flooring requires a gap at the wall. Problem with that is floating floors have been known to go askew over time.

My suggestion is to place a small gob of silicone about every twenty-four inches along the edge of the flooring at the wall to kinda hold the floor in place over time. It is then covered with baseboard or shoe molding (or 1/4-round) to hide the gap and the gob.:) The silicone will accommodate the floor when expansion and contraction occurs while at the same time keeping the flooring from twisting and jamming into a wall.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.