Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-15-2010, 09:06 AM   #1

Share |

Laminate flooring question

I'm considering 2 different laminate products for my living room and other areas (approx 750sq ft above grade concrete sub).

I was really looking for 12mm w/attached underlayment for an easy install. I'm set on piano finish and beveled edges. I was hoping to find a deal for around $2/sq ft

I was almost sold on this from lumber liquidators they told me $2.39 in store

Then I ran across this online at Home Depot for $2.38 which we like the look of more. I can get 10% off so it'll be around $2.14. Only problem is it's 10mm and the underpad is a sort of foam rather than the rubber feeling one of the 12mm above. It feels much sturdier.

I guess my question is does the 2mm make a huge difference in sound quality? I'm a glue-down engineered type of guy but for the sake of an easy install and scratch resistance I'm looking at laminates. I just want it to be really quiet.

AngeloUCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
HD Social Media

Hi there AngeloUCF,

This is Mr. Jay with The Home Depot out in Chicago.

What room are we considering putting this laminate in? Is the subfloor in good shape already, no humps or moisture problems?

In my experience, the major sound quality comes from the pad. You can usually find a couple of different kinds depending on where you go; ranging from a basic foam and visquine combination, to something with sound detonation built in. We carry both styles, so if sound is a factor to you, I’d consider the Roberts 3-in-1 Harmony Pad -> http://bit.ly/Underlayment. It comes with a Sound IIC rating of 68 and STC rating of 67.

Let me know how that sounds or if you have any other questions.
- Mr. Jay
[I’m a Home Depot Store Associate, trained and authorized to help people on the Internet]

AskMrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #3

Thanks Mr. Jay, that helps. We are putting this in a 16x24 living room and a spare bathroom and hallway with concrete subfloor which should be in good shape. It's an older home so the concrete is pretty dried out; moisture shouldn't be an issue.

I didn't realize that was such an expensive underlay, it looks "cheap" in store but has good reviews. I've been considering quiet walk but your suggestion may have better ratings.

I passed on the Home Legend stuff after I realized it was 8mm + 2mm = 10mm and not just a 10mm board. Everything I find is made in China and at first I was trying to avoid that but now I don't think I have a choice.
AngeloUCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 02:29 PM   #4
HD Social Media

Not a problem =)

Good to know the subfloor is in good shape. It does look kind of strange with those little white foam bubbles, but they actually help quite a bit with crush resistance. It is a little higher priced then the alternative pad, but thatís mainly because the sound ratings are so high. Still less expensive than buying a full cork floor underlay though.

If youíre concerned about where the laminate is produced, have you considered or look at either DuPont or TrafficMaster. DuPont laminates are produced in both Spain and Georgia, while our TrafficMaster line is made by Shaw and are all USA made products.

- Mr. Jay
AskMrJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:13 PM   #5

hi mr. jay. i am in toronto and want the dupont real touch elite. i have spent 6 days now researching laminates and, to be honest, i am ready to scream.

i went to the home depot here and they said they were able to get only 1 wood-look real touch elite - the montreal gunstock - which i do not like at all.

is there any way i can get more dupont real touch in toronto without having to travel to the states (i have a chronic health condition which would make this impossible at present).

can someone help with shipping to canada perhaps?

thanks a lot
sue
cheese123 is offline   Reply With Quote