Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2012, 12:21 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Laminate Flooring Mistakes - Need help fixing

I've installed my first laminate floor with the assistance from an "experienced" friend and I've a number of problems with the floor. The floor covers almost the entire house, looks great but I believe it's too big to be one floor and I need to break it up into smaller sections? Flooring was installed in most areas against the baseboards, which I know is wrong.

• Flooring is peaking at one of the doorways
  • We did not install or leave room for expansion of the floor near front/back doors
  • Floor is too close to the walls in certain areas

How to I fix this? I assume I'll need to lift and cut a 1/4" space along all walls and lift cut space at the front/back door then place down molding to cover the gap and allow for expansion? Or could I get away with simply prying away the baseboards from wall without damaging the floor?

Sorry this is running on quite a bit but wanted to give the full picture before I got to this question. The area that's peaking between both rooms at the door way. Will I have to lift all of that floor to get to that area or could I cut it out with a circular saw and chisel away an area to allow me to install molding/bridge/saddle to join both floors and let it expand/contract plus relieve the pressure on the floor.

Thanks for reading and for your advice.
aidan80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
DIY staff

Pictures would help---how thick is the baseboard? If removing and reinstalling above the laminate solves the problem--I suggest you do that---

Cutting around the entire perimeter of all rooms will be very difficult---
Old 03-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #3

That was never suppost to be run through a doorway and continued into the next room, there was suppost to be a transition strip in the middle of the doorway.
Gaps away from the baseboads on all sides.
Sounds like a do over to me.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 04:59 PM   #4

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Pictures would help---how thick is the baseboard? If removing and reinstalling above the laminate solves the problem--I suggest you do that---

Cutting around the entire perimeter of all rooms will be very difficult---
The baseboards are quite thin about 1/4" but shouldn't be difficult to remove... hopefully. I should of pulled the baseboards at the start but a few people told me that the drywall likes to come away as well?

Yes cutting around the perimeter is difficult I've already tried chiseling around most of the living room to relieve pressure on the floor which appears to have worked but hasn't solved the problem. Pictures don't show anything other than what looks like a nice floor and close up at the edges you can see the baseboards pulling away from the wall.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
That was never suppost to be run through a doorway and continued into the next room, there was suppost to be a transition strip in the middle of the doorway.
Gaps away from the baseboads on all sides.
Sounds like a do over to me.
Thanks for your suggestion but the obvious is quite well.. obvious to me at this point as to what I was supposed to do. A "do over" won't be required I will repair this.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #6

I've never heard of any baseboard that's only 1/4" thick, unless it some stick on sanitary base.
Good luck on getting it to work, hope it works out.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #7

You can make your expansion gap by using a toe kick saw or oscillating saw.

Only a well experienced lam installer will be able to install straight under doorways to make all room one floor though it's really difficult but can be done, this doesn't have anything to do with starting and ending points.

If your base trim is to thin quarter round will help hide your ends.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote