Laminate Flooring On Ceiling - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-05-2011, 05:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

laminate flooring on ceiling

Hi All, I am looking for anyone who has installed laminate flooring on a ceiling. I found Armstrong Laminate Ceiling Planks, but it is very expensive. I have 1000+ sq ft to cover on a cathedral ceiling. I found a contractor on the sister site, Contractor Talk, but cannot contact the contractor to inquire how he performed this.

Anyone with ideas, suggestions, pitfalls, howto's, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Paul

Advertisement

mavrick1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:00 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,280

Paul:

When laminate flooring is installed, it normally sits on a floating membrane. It needs to do this because it moves. This, in itself, makes laminate FLOORING most unsuited for a ceiling application.

The Armstrong products for ceilings are another kettle of fish entirely. They are used routinely in huge commercial installations and have been proven over many years.

Advertisement

cocobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #3
KCB

Rewards Points: 75

frankly i dont see how you can walk on the cieling ? Is your house upside down ??
KCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:52 PM   #4

I did walls using laminate; used screws which I covered with base and rail molding. Works OK for some 3 - 4 years now; walls are more stable regarding temp. and humidity than floors.

Ceiling is more challenging because of large area to be covered. I would use something like grid made from moldings that would hold the squares or rectangles of the FLOATING! laminate.

You would have to find the anchor points into which fasten the moldings, and do your lay-out on paper. You could get fancy and use 2 colors, like checker board or change directions, etc.

The process would be using drywall lift with platform on to of it; you would pre-assemble the laminate sections, lift them up, align, and the install the molding to hold the the laminate. The grid molding assembly would have to be made from 3 molding members : two "L" shapes back to back (this would make something like "T") and one piece to cover the seam between the "L"s.

I never seen anything like this yet, but the concept should be feasible.

Thinking about it some more:
You could also use the "T" shaped parting strip that is sold with the laminate. Then you would use screws and do not tighten them, so the "T" is loose - this would help you to get your pre-assembled laminate rectangle under the "arms" of the "T". Counter-bore the holes and, after final tightening of the screws, cover then with wooden plugs.
stary kozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,800

Quote:
Originally Posted by stary kozel View Post
I did walls using laminate; used screws which I covered with base and rail molding. Works OK for some 3 - 4 years now; walls are more stable regarding temp. and humidity than floors.

Ceiling is more challenging because of large area to be covered. I would use something like grid made from moldings that would hold the squares or rectangles of the FLOATING! laminate.

You would have to find the anchor points into which fasten the moldings, and do your lay-out on paper. You could get fancy and use 2 colors, like checker board or change directions, etc.

The process would be using drywall lift with platform on to of it; you would pre-assemble the laminate sections, lift them up, align, and the install the molding to hold the the laminate. The grid molding assembly would have to be made from 3 molding members : two "L" shapes back to back (this would make something like "T") and one piece to cover the seam between the "L"s.

I never seen anything like this yet, but the concept should be feasible.

Thinking about it some more:
You could also use the "T" shaped parting strip that is sold with the laminate. Then you would use screws and do not tighten them, so the "T" is loose - this would help you to get your pre-assembled laminate rectangle under the "arms" of the "T". Counter-bore the holes and, after final tightening of the screws, cover then with wooden plugs.
If the laminate isn't made for the ceiling, I would be afraid it would sag especially with all the heat that stays at the ceiling.

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 09:20 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

The vidio of armstrongs web site is very informative.

http://www.armstrong.com/resclgam/na...stallation.asp
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick1100 View Post
Hi All, I am looking for anyone who has installed laminate flooring on a ceiling. I found Armstrong Laminate Ceiling Planks, but it is very expensive. I have 1000+ sq ft to cover on a cathedral ceiling. I found a contractor on the sister site, Contractor Talk, but cannot contact the contractor to inquire how he performed this.

Anyone with ideas, suggestions, pitfalls, howto's, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Paul
Hello
I put oak laminated flooring that is used for Floating floors on my ceiling, walls, and basement floor.....I used black tar paper under the floaring floor......Looks great and works well........I dont know of anyone else that has done this........You dont know if it will work unless you do it...
VJ
vjnewton48@yaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Pro

Rewards Points: 502

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjnewton48@yaho

Hello
I put oak laminated flooring that is used for Floating floors on my ceiling, walls, and basement floor.....I used black tar paper under the floaring floor......Looks great and works well........I dont know of anyone else that has done this........You dont know if it will work unless you do it...
VJ
How did u manage to get the pieces to hold to the walls ceiling this is about the silliest thing I have heard?!?!?.....crazy if u will lol post pictures!

Sent from my iPhone 4 ios5
JetSwet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 03:18 PM   #9

I have seen this process of using laminate on the ceiling too. HGtv used clips made by Armstrong. does anyone know where to get these.???
Cgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:46 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 602

Why would anyone even think about doing it with laminate?
Makes 0 since to me.
Real wood prefinished T & G would be the way to go.
No way would I want a shiny plastic looking material on a ceiling.
Way to many seams.
It needs to float. ECT, ECT.
rusty baker (07-20-2014)
Old 07-20-2014, 08:26 PM   #11

we'll I guess you have no imagination and never think out of the box. If your weren't going to be informative you should keep your opinions to your self.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Why would anyone even think about doing it with laminate?
Makes 0 since to me.
Real wood prefinished T & G would be the way to go.
No way would I want a shiny plastic looking material on a ceiling.
Way to many seams.
It needs to float. ECT, ECT.
Cgator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 08:37 PM   #12
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,294

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgator View Post
we'll I guess you have no imagination and never think out of the box. If your weren't going to be informative you should keep your opinions to your self.
And people wonder why pros hesitate to help on these forums. I know a little about using it after being in the business for 41 years, but I won't help anyone with a bad attitude. Good luck.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #13

Rewards Points: 2,048

The difficulty with laminate flooring on the ceiling is holding it in place. The material is heavy enough that you need lots of fasteners, and it may also expand and contract differently compared with the building structure so the fasteners have to allow some side to side give.

You do not want nails or screws right through the middles of the planks because it is almost impossible to refinish the surface of laminate.

You might use brads in the tongues and grooves but this may make it more difficult to insert each succeeding plank.

You do not need tar paper or underlayment or membrane over and above what other kinds of ceiling finishing materials might need for moisture barrier, etc.

Last edited by AllanJ; 07-21-2014 at 12:26 PM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 PM   #14
Don't WANNA do it myself

Rewards Points: 500

Laminate on a ceiling? I have to agree with the others - why on earth would you do that? I've seen wood ceilings that look great, but it was real wood not fake.

Quote:
we'll I guess you have no imagination and never think out of the box.
No one has ever made this comment to me in my entire life, and I happen to agree with the person that you are being rude to. What you are planning is going to be very difficult to accomplish and you are planning to use a material that is completely unsuited for the task. If you want to make yourself crazy, go for it.

I looked around online for pictures of one done with laminate, and the only ones that looked ok (in my opinion) were coffered so that the seams didn't show.

Advertisement

Fixing the re-muddling one room at a time...

Last edited by mnp13; 07-21-2014 at 04:31 PM.
mnp13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling , laminate , planks