Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #1

Share |

Laminate flooring

Laminate flooring by Armstrong installed by Lowes makes funny noises when we walk on it.Also some boards seem to go up and down.They claim its because of the temp.in the house.I know several home owners that don't have this issue.Any suggestions?I have the armstrong rep coming out .
pizzanook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:01 AM   #2

Laminate flooring

Could be a lot of differant things.
Flooring was not allowed to sit in the home long enough with the boxes opened up before installing to adjust to the temp. and humidity in the home.

No or not enough gap left around the outside and around door openings.
A nail hit the flooring when they were installing the 1/4 round.
Floor was not flat.
If the homes over a crawl space there's no vaper barrier on the ground.
They used the wrong padding under the floor if one was called for.
They just pushed the panels straight down to the floor and stared tapping them together at the butt joints instead of in an up and down motion to work the T & G into place.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 AM   #3

Laminate flooring

They rolled the padding,no crawl space,they didn't use nails,and they probably was in a rush and didnt wiggle the boards into place.Not all the planks are like that.Just squeaking sounds in certain places when you walk on them.Specially when its hot.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:53 PM   #4

Angry

Laminate flooring

Good luck to anyone who has installed the laminate product from Armstrong. I had it installed less than a year ago and it is blistering/raising etc. It started blistering a few months after installation, imagine in another year what it will look like? Armstrong rep came out and denied the claim. He said it was due to moisture....spills etc. Well how in the heck do you spill stuff everywhere...under beds in closets etc. Not to mention the cloudy finish on it. Oh and get this the rep used Acetone on the floor to clean an area. Disgusted. Lowes installed my floors. I really liked the installers and think they did a good job. I will boycott anything made by Armstrong if they DO not fix this problem.
lamail13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #5

Laminate flooring

what's the best brand for laminate floors. I want to instal laminate floors i was told Pergo is best for scratches?
Floors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:17 AM   #6

Laminate flooring

With laminate you really get what you pay for. None will ever be totally resistant to scratches but they should wear well. Make sure you go for a thinker laminate if possible - 7mm would be a min thickness I would recommend. You may pay a wee bit more but it will be worth it in the long run.

In terms of the whole Armstrong fiasco - as I am from the UK I have to say I have never heard of them but having read over your problems I find it very strange. It sounds like they just fired the floor down as quick as they could. That's the problem with laminates at time. Yes they are easy to install due to the click system but sometimes you get someone installing it who just fires it down and doesn't take anytime at all. It will take time to adjust to the temp of your home and you should expect some movement but if it is lifting and creaking badly after a few months I would make sure the rep checks over it thoroughly. They don't necessarily need to be fitted with nails but I would expect that at the very least they are fitted well. I wonder did they use any adhesive to secure it and how much care they took with the underlay.

Hope you get it sorted.
Tiler 1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tiler 1984 For This Useful Post:
pizzanook (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 06:06 AM   #7

Laminate flooring

I had Armstrong send out"an independent claims adjuster" to look at the flooring.I'm now waiting on Lowes to get back to me on the findings.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:48 AM   #8

Laminate flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiler 1984 View Post
Make sure you go for a thinker laminate if possible - 7mm would be a min thickness I would recommend.
7mm is way too thin IMO. I wouldn't put less than 12mm in my own house. 15mm would be even better - that's approximately the thickness of hardwood flooring.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #9

Laminate flooring

I have installed thousands of feet of laminates and have found that thickness has absolutely nothing to do with how long it will last.

Add to that that the thicker product costs as much as wood flooring and now you are just buying the argument that the thicker the better.

I have found the harder to lock the better the product performs. I love the cheap product as it locks like a SOB. It locks hard and is hard to come undone.

I also had major problems with Armstrong product to the point I have refused to install it anymore.
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 AM   #10

Laminate flooring

I too have problems, and bought $2,000+ of Armstrong "Premium Series" laminate. The entire pallet does not match the sample. Its a lighter color style and the 2 samples I have are one color, and the pallet is a different color. Its clear they made an error with the color when manufacturing this batch, but Armstrong refuses to do anything at all.
Evenfurther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #11

Laminate flooring

Any brand name laminate can look nice if installed correctly.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #12

Laminate flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSwet View Post
Any brand name laminate can look nice if installed correctly.
While true, 'looking nice' doesn't mean much. Customers want a product that matches the samples, customers want product that doesn't make clicking noises, customers want product that doesn't blister. Armstrong is horrible to deal with if you have a slight problem or serious defect. They have flooring that looks nice, but that's all they have. Its a total gamble with Armstrong.
Evenfurther is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Evenfurther For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (05-10-2013)
Old 05-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #13

Laminate flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floors View Post
what's the best brand for laminate floors. I want to instal laminate floors i was told Pergo is best for scratches?
'Best' is hard to say, as there's millions of brands and product lines, and durability is probably the primary factor and you can't evaluate that for years and years.

In my experience, Pergo is pretty good, and the XP line in particular is very scratch resistant. As far as I know, only Home Depot sells the XP stuff. We have that right now and it's doing great for us. Can't scratch it with a key. It perfectly matched the samples. It's been very water resistant so far. For example, the dog knocked over the water dish, standing water on it all day long, not a single problem.

Use a key on samples at stores to test the scratch resistance. But that's just one factor.
Amateuralex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #14

Laminate flooring

I didn't say anything about thicker products wearing better. But the OP complained about squeaking and shifting. It can help with that. It also avoids that cheap, plasticy feeling thinner ones have.

With regard to using thinner products because they hold tighter, that's barking up the wrong tree. Find the thickest product you can the locks well, and use it. Using thin laminates is only asking for trouble when you have to start hammering pieces together. The tongues are only going to buckle and shred, causing nightmares.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #15

Laminate flooring

I've installed many 7 & 8mm grade laminate and all with well rounded results. Some people can only afford those grades. Imo its the install that makes it work. If there are issues most times its only the issue with the floor itself.

Your not supposed to pound the laminate to interlock them together, offsetting seams 12" and retain 1/4" perimeter expanston its as simple as that.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote