Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-19-2012, 03:35 PM   #1

Share |

Laminate flooring

I have kitchen carpeting in the kitchen very good conditition and would like to know if i can lay pergo laminate over the carpeting ,carpet is glued to floor

BLUE BIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

Laminate flooring

No. the pieces lock together, and must have a flat surface. Carpet is too bendy. You must pull up the carpet and padding, and lay down foam pad underlayment first, then install the laminate. Ive installed laminate a dozen times, i made the mistake of installing it over previous flooring before, i had to pull it all up again and put it back down after removng the original flooring. Dont make that mistake. Not to mention laminate is pretty much particleboard covered with pretty paper and a wear layer, and if moisture comes up through the carpet, your laminate is history

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #3

Laminate flooring

Kitchen carpeting??? If ever there was a room that should not have been carpeted, it's the kitchen. Yes, you will have to remove the carpet. Keep in mind that the floor underneath may have glue residue or it may be damaged in some way necessitating the quick and inexpensive coverup carpeting provdes. If the floor is not smooth you will have to cover it with 1/4 inch plywood before the laminate is used. Some laminates have padding attached at the factory. Worst case scenerio, ripping out the subfloor or a portion thereof and replacing it, But that would only be necessary if the undelayment was an absolute mess, ie. rotten wood. You will only discover what needs to be done after the carpet is removed. Take pics and post for advice. A professional flooring installer will probably offer assistance. Finally, in my opinion (and opinions vary around here) laminate is never the best choice for kitchens or bathrooms where there is a chance of a liquid spill ... worse in a bathroom. I would never put laminate in a kitchen. Kitchens do best with ceramic tile, stone, sheet vinyl, or vinyl tiles. I would rather have self stick vinyl tiles than laminate in a kitchen any day. In the long run you are better off with something else.

Last edited by retired guy 60; 09-19-2012 at 05:53 PM.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired guy 60 For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-22-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 07:11 PM   #4
Pro Flooring Installer

Laminate flooring

The carpet needs to come up, but the floor may be good. Back in the 80's, the style was carpet in kitchens. Installed it many times as a decorator's idea.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:56 PM   #5

Laminate flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUE BIRD View Post
I have kitchen carpeting in the kitchen very good conditition and would like to know if i can lay pergo laminate over the carpeting ,carpet is glued to floor
If this is actual kitchen carpet, the answer is yes as long as it is less than 1/4-inch thick! I've done this successfully many times.
onflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:08 AM   #6

Laminate flooring

Onflooring is correct. Laminate can be put over some carpeting according to the documentation cited. However, keep in mind that it may afffect the feel when walking on it.
A new post by Bangan "Laminate flooring underlayment" offers the following question:
"I do not like the feeling of spongy feeling when walking on laminate flooring with foam underlayment and can not afford to install a real hardwood. So, ca I get away with just lay tar paper and install laminate over it if i make the floor as flat as possible? I would like to hear from someone who actually done it?"
If foam undelayment seems spongy to Bangan, then carpeting would probably be worse. Of course this is just one person's opinion and others might find the feel perfectly acceptable. I would still remove the carpet but that's just me and though I have installed laminate and other types of flooring, I am no pro.
Thanks onflooring for the cite to laminate installation. Very comprehensive.

Last edited by retired guy 60; 09-20-2012 at 07:10 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:39 AM   #7

Laminate flooring

dont worry liquid spills arent a problem, even with laminate, as long as you protect it properly. Put two layers of polyurethane on top, itll be fine unless your kitchen gets flooded somehow
Old 09-20-2012, 09:54 AM   #8

Laminate flooring

Laminate neither requires polyurethane nor is it recommended. Laminate is factory coated with a finish that is harder and more durable than poly though it may be thinner. Do not coat laminate with poly. Select a floor product that is water tolerant.
Old 09-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #9

Laminate flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired guy 60 View Post
Onflooring is correct. Laminate can be put over some carpeting according to the documentation cited. However, keep in mind that it may afffect the feel when walking on it.
A new post by Bangan "Laminate flooring underlayment" offers the following question:
"I do not like the feeling of spongy feeling when walking on laminate flooring with foam underlayment and can not afford to install a real hardwood. So, ca I get away with just lay tar paper and install laminate over it if i make the floor as flat as possible? I would like to hear from someone who actually done it?"
If foam undelayment seems spongy to Bangan, then carpeting would probably be worse. Of course this is just one person's opinion and others might find the feel perfectly acceptable. I would still remove the carpet but that's just me and though I have installed laminate and other types of flooring, I am no pro.
Thanks onflooring for the cite to laminate installation. Very comprehensive.
Retired guy,

You are most welcome.

Best,
onflooring
onflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #10

Laminate flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode
dont worry liquid spills arent a problem, even with laminate, as long as you protect it properly. Put two layers of polyurethane on top, itll be fine unless your kitchen gets flooded somehow
Laminate is masonite with a printed picture over it. you will ruin it if you poly laminate.
JetSwet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JetSwet For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-22-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 PM   #11

Laminate flooring

Check Pergo recommendations on vapor barrier Regaurdless you will need one and carpet... even 3 season carpet is not a correct VB and will void your warranty.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 PM   #12

Laminate flooring

polyurethane will not ruin laminate! we have put it on EVERY SINGLE FLOOR we have ever installed. it dried up and looked fabulous! If you put it on cork or something it might ruin it, but laminate wont ruin unless its reallly bad quality.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:05 PM   #13

Laminate flooring

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode
polyurethane will not ruin laminate! we have put it on EVERY SINGLE FLOOR we have ever installed. it dried up and looked fabulous! If you put it on cork or something it might ruin it, but laminate wont ruin unless its reallly bad quality.
Polyurethane is for hardwood aka (actual wood) I know enough about laminate to tell you that that's plain old silly business to think that using poly will not void warranty no matter if you think it's not going or has done damage.
The Following User Says Thank You to JetSwet For This Useful Post:
ToolSeeker (09-22-2012)
Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #14

Laminate flooring

oh well if you are worried about warranty you dont use it, but we dont really bother with warranties, theyre not really worth it in my opinion cuz they usually give you another product. usually if something is that bad, i just want my money back. Thats why i shop at Lowes.
Old 09-22-2012, 12:09 AM   #15

Laminate flooring

Poly on laminite would also crack along every seam as soon as it was walked on.
Why would anyone even think of applying poly over a surface that already has about 7 super hard layers of finish on it.
Once the poly wears off, what then? It can not be sanded to get it the rest off.

Please show us even one manufacture of laminite flooring on there web site that says applying poly is a good idea.

Last edited by joecaption; 09-22-2012 at 12:12 AM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
JetSwet (09-22-2012), retired guy 60 (09-22-2012), ToolSeeker (09-22-2012)