Laminate Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-11-2011, 10:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laminate Flooring

I am about to start my laminate flooring, the room is quite large, about 600 sq/feet. I have never done this before and have a couple simple questions.
1. The spacers, after I get done say half of the room, can I remove the first bit of spacers to reuse, or am I going have to buy 1000 of them to complete?

2. The first section of flooring will have to be cut, (remove tongue)can this be done with a jig saw? I do not have a table saw so I was wondering and the room is only 12 feet wide at that point.

3. The poly underneath, do you need to tape all the seems, and what is the best tape to use (Duct?).

Any other little tips would be nice before I start this project.

Thanks

Advertisement

mort5029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Handyman

Rewards Points: 500

Laminate Flooring

Hiya Mort..

You can use any material to use as spacers. I usually use cedar shakes as they are cheap and I can screw them to the wall (where the baseboard will cover the holes later) to keep them in place.

Not sure why you are removing the tongue from the first row unless you are using very thin baseboard and no 1/4 round or shoe-molding, but, yes you can use a jig saw...just clamp the boards down to a sturdy surface so they don't vibrate all over the place

For the underlay I just use "Tuck" tape...VERY sticky. I put a roll on one of those taping guns the movers use for boxes.

Advertisement

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 04:15 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Laminate Flooring

once your floor gets going you can remove spacers and use them down the line, once that section of floor is laid and will not move on you.

I wouldn't use a jigsaw unless I had no other option. Table saw is quickest and easiest, skillsaw would be ok too, just make sure you don't marr the surface, cut facedown.

I always remove the tongue as well when butting into wall, good practice.

Yeah -Tuck tape is what you want (red tape)
good luck
chrisBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Laminate Flooring

Hi Mort-

1) Definitely leave the spacers in until finished, when hitting the pull bar with your hammer you can easily move the entire floor, so leave them in until done. Ask me how I know this lol

sidebar on spacers...if your wall is straight, just use a few long pieces of firring strips or the equivalent instead of individual spacers, MUCH easier

2) I always take the tongue off as well, a jig saw would be slow but is doable if you don't have a TS.

3) Duct tape would be OK, but the red Tuck tape would be better.

Good luck with your project
hate2work is offline   Reply With Quote