Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2013, 06:40 PM   #1

Share |

Laminate floor scuffs

We installed a Laminate floor we bought from Lowe's, I think it is a Pergo brand. It is beautiful, looks like hard wood, however, very shortly after we bought it, our computer chairs scuffed the floor pretty badly, even though I bought the plastic floor coverings to go under the chairs. The scuffs are large white circles on the floor where the chairs are. My husband said he glued the floor down when he installed so he says he cannot just cut those boards and replace. Is there any way to remove these scuffs? or prevent in the future if we get a new floor? I was told that you have to get rubber wheels for the chairs. But I would rather fix the scuffs if possible rather than replace the whole floor. Any suggestions? These are large areas not just a small scratch here and there. Thanks.

Kelly56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #2

Laminate floor scuffs

He glued down laminite
It's suppost to be a floating floor!
Any floor is going to fail if your rolling around on it with hard wheels.
Got a picture?

Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #3
Floor Installer

Laminate floor scuffs

Wheel casters void the warranty on almost all floor covering.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:31 AM   #4

Laminate floor scuffs

I commend you for wishing for a miracle, but it just ain't gonna happen.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:03 PM   #5

Laminate floor scuffs

After speaking to my husband, he did not glue the floor "down" He glued some of the tongue and grooves together near the doorway to help seal out water, and also our other laminate floor boards have loosened separating. But I take from the responses that a laminate floor should not ever be used in any rooms with office chairs or kitchen chairs which is ironic that they are mostly advertised to not scuff.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #6

Laminate floor scuffs

I have laminate in my upstairs bedroom and study. My desk chair has wheels and there has been no problem. My wife's vanity seat has felt pads on the legs and again no problem. Recently I coated the laminate with a product called Rejuvenate and it came out very well. It hides small scratches, adds gloss and supposedly offers some protection in addition. The only downside is that it may be difficult to remove when it is time for a recoat, probably in a month or two. A weak ammonia solution might remove it but you must never saturate laminate. I think Home Depot sells Rejuvenate. I purchased Pro Shot Industrial Re-Newing from Amazon.com but have not tested it yet. It has received good reviews.
The friction of chair legs rubbing on the floor can damage practically any floor surface including vinyl and hardwood coated with polyurethane. For future reference, ceramic and stone generally offer greater abrasion resistance than vinyl, laminate or hardwood.

Last edited by retired guy 60; 04-09-2013 at 07:58 PM.
retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #7

Laminate floor scuffs

Thank you Retired Guy for some helpful information. I will look into this! Thanks again!