Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
wilderstyle

Rewards Points: 75

Laminate Floor Procedure

Hey guys, my new task is to lay the laminate. I did a small room once, so I have the basics. Questions...
...after I prepare the floor and put down the underlayment how do I measure or prepare for squaring up? I realize this old house may not be squared up in every room and my starting wall is important. Not really sure how to run a plumb line on the floor, only done it on walls.

...does it matter which room I start in? How do I begin?

wilderstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #2
wilderstyle

Laminate Floor Procedure

Wow, all day and not one flooring answer? Florcraft, dangermouse wake up. I need some direction here.

Old 12-05-2008, 09:10 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 500

Laminate Floor Procedure

What i do is decide which wall is going to be the most visiable or noticable wall and square it up to this wall. One easy way to square it up after you pick your starting wall is to decide how wide the first row is going to be and about a foot in from each end of your starting wall measure out that distance and then snap a chalk line. That make sure your first row is straight and also as true to the wall as possible. Also if you are continuing into multiple rooms you will want to measure to ensure that you don't end up with any small slivers to cut. The layout is something you will want to take your time on, it will make it easier on yourself in the long run. Hopefully one of the experts will be along to give you some better pointers. good luck
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
wilderstyle

Laminate Floor Procedure

I took that big box store class and I have laid a rectangular room down with just a jigsaw with an old blade with some manufacturer instruction off the internet. I am older and wiser now AND I have my chop saw and a new blade. My layout is outrageous.... entry, kitchen, Dining, family room and hallway. So the only thing not visable is the far end of the hallway. So, my contractor friend is coming over today to help me with the dishwasher, new disposal and some electrical installs. He will tell me all the stuff I messed up on. Then give Nestor type advice (no offense Nestor), which I will remember some of and then punt! O.K so I can just snap a line or two on the floor? Cool.
Old 12-05-2008, 02:11 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Laminate Floor Procedure

I've done a handfull of laminate installs for myself and family and that is how i did it. I did one for my parents which was pretty much the whole house-kitchen, dining, hallway, living room, 3 bedrooms, 2 entrances. The hallway was a central point, bedrooms on each side of it, living room on one side and kitchen/dining on the other side- so i knew if i started in the living room or kitchen and was at all crooked when i got to the hall way it would show(hallway was long and only 3 ft wide). So i decided to start in the hallway and work into the other rooms, i did one continuoes floor with no transitions. I figured the other rooms have stuff against the walls and are big enough to hide a little out of squareness but you would see it in the hallway for sure. This is how i did it and it worked great for me.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote