Laminate Floor Problem - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Laminate Floor problem

I have a problem with my laminate flooring. It's about a year old and I've noticed a corner of one of the planks is sticking up. It's been getting worse because it's in a heavy traffic area. Here's a picture of it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this without removing half of the floor just to get to it?

Advertisement

harding13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:46 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Laminate Floor problem

Does this spot move up and down? If it does and you can lift it up a little, put some wood glue under it and push the spot down tight.
Wipe the glue up that squeezes out. You may need to put weight on to keep it down. Put WAX PAPER on the spot then the weight.
Make sure it is wax paper. Use damp rag with minerail spirits to clean the glue.

Advertisement

woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:29 PM   #3

Laminate Floor problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodman58 View Post
Does this spot move up and down? If it does and you can lift it up a little, put some wood glue under it and push the spot down tight.
Wipe the glue up that squeezes out. You may need to put weight on to keep it down. Put WAX PAPER on the spot then the weight.
Make sure it is wax paper. Use damp rag with minerail spirits to clean the glue.
Yes it does move up and down. That's the exact idea I had, but I can't seem to get up under it enough to pry it up. I even tried a utility knife to wedge under it and just chipped a little piece off of it.

I will try again this weekend to get up under it, but I'm scared I'll rip too much up.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Laminate Floor problem

it appears moisture has cause the edge to swell up. In my opinion, i would remove plank and install new one. u may have to call professional. not a diy project unless u are extremely handy. let me know, i can explain how to do it. Requires circular saw, tape, glue, splines, table saw, chisel.
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:45 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Laminate Floor problem

New type of laminates (click together) are not like the old glue together laminates. The groves set back to far to cut a spline in.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:38 AM   #6

Laminate Floor problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by acglobal View Post
it appears moisture has cause the edge to swell up. In my opinion, i would remove plank and install new one. u may have to call professional. not a diy project unless u are extremely handy. let me know, i can explain how to do it. Requires circular saw, tape, glue, splines, table saw, chisel.
I highly doubt that moisture was the reason for this. It's in an area that no moisture from below could have done it, and is also in an area that hasn't had any spills on or near it. Also the laminate seems to be peeling away from the plank in that corner.

I will try to peel a little more up so I can squeeze some wood glue under it sometime this weekend. I'll let you guys know how that works. Thanks.
Old 02-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Laminate Floor problem

It is repairable with right tools and know how. Try your method first. If not repair same way as damaged hardwood strip. Splines are available in different widths. Requires expertise
acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 11:36 PM   #8

Laminate Floor problem

I ended up using an epoxy... It's supposed to cure in 20mins and have maximum strength in 24hrs. It's been about an hour and a half and I took the weight off of it to see if it stayed. It did. I put the weight back on (because I just want to be extra sure).

Thanks everyone for the help.

Advertisement