Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 AM   #1

Share |
Unhappy

Laminate floor not locking HELP!

So we got our first room done (not as easy as they say) got to hallway which is open to to dining and living room and made the cuts for the corners. Everything seemed to be going well until we started the first 2 rows in the LR which are attached to hall by way of the corner cut. First they kept shifting. When we solved that the length had some gaps. Fixed that then tried to lock in more of 2nd row and it would not lock. we tried using the block it just came out. Tried diff. pieces from diff. boxes. Duck tape. Doing a whole row at a time trying to lock in. it just keeps llifting up first row and then coming unlocked(2nd row)? First row will not stay tight. So now we only have 1 room done and 6 more to go. Its not looking good. PLEASE HELP??? We r using spacers, we did let flooring sit 48+ hours.

weekendwarriors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
floor_whore

Send a message via Yahoo to Aaroncarpet

Make sure you inspect the row that precedes the row that isn't locking....it sounds like one of the boards in the last row completed may have shifted so when you attach the other row it is teeter tottering some where and causing the other side to jump off..I found that when I am having a tough row...I'll start somewhere in the center and work to each end rather than starting at the end...just make sure you lay the first full board so that the end cuts are staggered. you may have tio carefully look at the last few rows to make sure something hasn't shifted. another trick is to start placing full boxes on the installed area to add weight to it to help it from sliding around.... inspect all the short seems to see if any boards are uneven like this

:'''''''''''''''''''''''
:
:

all it takes is 1/16" inch stagger to give you problems...make sure there isn't debris or damaged tongue from pounding...inspect the full groove...Lock down 1 board at a time on the new row

Last edited by Aaroncarpet; 09-20-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Aaroncarpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #3

The first few rows are a pain, wanting to come apart. I use blue tape to hold things together. Check tongue and grooves for anything that might interfere. Are you using a white rubber hammer? Put your knees or a friends foot to help hold down the row your trying to attach to and give it a smack. I just put in an interlocking floor and had to pursuade some of the boards to lock and lay down. Good luck.
JCW355 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
laminate flooring