Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #1

Share |

Laminate Floor Layout

Hi,

I will be installing laminate floor on a room that is shaped as below. I've read that as a general rule the floor should be installed parallel to the source of the light. In this case it will be parallel to the door entrance.

I am thinking of starting from the door. And the reason for this is I want the first plank that you see when you enter the room to be a whole plank and not an odd cut. But I am worried that once I reached the opposite side the rows may not be parallel to the wall.

Am I going in the right direction? Any suggestion on how I would lay the floor.
Attached Images

altonhernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:52 AM   #2
Handyman

Laminate Floor Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by altonhernandez View Post
Hi,

But I am worried that once I reached the opposite side the rows may not be parallel to the wall.

Am I going in the right direction? Any suggestion on how I would lay the floor.
Not sure what you mean here. Unless you change direction of the planks (which is impossible) you will end up parallel to the opposite wall. You may end up having to rip some boards at the end but these will be covered by either the baseboard or 1/4 round.

canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #3

Laminate Floor Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Not sure what you mean here. Unless you change direction of the planks (which is impossible) you will end up parallel to the opposite wall. You may end up having to rip some boards at the end but these will be covered by either the baseboard or 1/4 round.
I've read that you have to have the first rows parallel to the wall. But since there is no wall to start with (since I am starting from the door) I am worried that the last row may be angled.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:11 AM   #4
Handyman

Laminate Floor Layout

Ok, I got ya now. You have 2 choices here...

You can start the boards parallel to the wall next to the door and install shims to ensure they are straight, then add boards into the door area...OR

Start the boarding at the door and rip the adjacent boards (along the wall) to fit. You will still need the shims.

You make want to temporarily tack the first board at the door threshold by nailing as close to the ends as possible..that will keep it sturdy for adding the other boards and stop them from coming apart.
Attached Images

Last edited by canadaclub; 06-06-2010 at 10:14 AM.
canadaclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #5

Laminate Floor Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadaclub View Post
Ok, I got ya now. You have 2 choices here...

You can start the boards parallel to the wall next to the door and install shims to ensure they are straight, then add boards into the door area...OR

Start the boarding at the door and rip the adjacent boards (along the wall) to fit. You will still need the shims.

You make want to temporarily tack the first board at the door threshold by nailing as close to the ends as possible..that will keep it sturdy for adding the other boards and stop them from coming apart.
Thanks.