Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

Share |

Laminate floor in basement questions

Hi guys. New to the forum, but have browsed the topics plenty of times. Anyway, now I could use some specific help please.

The great debate of whether to use laminate in below grade seems to be well discussed, but I am looking for further clarification.

Here is my situation. I am looking to laminate my entire basement, except for my laundry room. I have already purchased all of the laminate, so there is really no turning back. I have had water seeping through the foundation walls, but over the past 2 summers I have excavated and sealed the outside with BlueSkin. No longer having any water leaking through! I do believe that I still have a moisture issue, as my dehumidifier is constantly running. Humidity stays around 50%, but without dehumidifier running it would get to about 70%, maybe 75% on bad days. I also have a sump pump that goes off regularly in rainy weather.

So the plan. Plan to use Dri-core (I have researched many other options, but this seems to be the best option for me, and yes, I know it has organic material in it). So plan to use Dri-core, followed by some type of foam padding to eliminate squeeking in the floor. Then finally laminate on top of that.

First question - Should I seal the concrete with some of that roll on sealant prior to laying the dri-core? Or should I just let moisture continue to seep from underneath? After all, the Dri-core would allow the concrete to breath still, and then the dehumidifier could do it's work. thoughts?

Second question - I have read a lot of posts, and they all say don't lay laminate where there is a floor drain. That obviously makes sense. However, I would still like to. So, is it possible to just lay the floor directly over it, seeing that the dri-core would still allow access to the drain? I realize that the floor won't be level there either, so that might be a challenge anyway. The other idea I read was to laminate to within a few feet of the drain, and then tile to the drain. I'm not sure what your thoughts are about that? That might look awful, plus how would that look finished.... I can't really imagine that looking good. So any ideas here would be gladly accepted. Keep in mind that I already bought the laminate so I would prefer to use it. Oh ya, the drain is in the middle of the room too. Which makes it even more difficult to manouver around.

I am trying to think if I have any other questions, but I am sure they will come up as you guys respond. Thanks a lot in advance. I plan to start this project in a few weeks, so any info would be helpful.

vesh1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Pro Flooring Installer

So, you want somone to tell you that's it's OK to do everything wrong? ...............I'll do that!.........."It's OK to do everything wrong!"

rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:06 PM   #3

No, I want someone to tell me what other options I have. Also, it would be nice to know what part I am doing wrong... cause honestly I think everything seems totally fine other than the drain part. I KNOW that is wrong, hence why I am asking for other options.

The drain is only one 12 by 12 room, so I can go with something else if it's totally not a good idea. The rest of the basement with laminate, with the setup I described would be fine, no?
vesh1717 is offline   Reply With Quote