Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2012, 02:59 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Laminate expansion gap

Hello we hired someone to do our laminate flooing and have been having some issues with them. I had a couple questions for you laminate guys.

They didn't put an expansion gap on some of the planks on the ends. They did on the long ways though. When I asked them about that they told me you only need expansion gap on the sides of the laminate.. (The long sides.) But not on the ends of the laminate. (The short sides) Is this BS?? I thought you needed expansion gaps on all 4 walls??

Also the contractor messed up and brought wood colored quarter round instead of white like I told him I wanted. He fixed that and put in white but told me the manufacturer doesn't honor the warranty unless you match the wood colored quarter panel?? BS????

Then to top it all off they laid the laminate over a hump in the concrete. They came back and pulled it all up and "leveled" the floor with float but now it makes a horrible crackling noise when you walk over it. It was quiet before but it just had a hump. Now it makes that crackling noise and you can even see it visible dip down in one spot!!! UGHHH!!!

silicon_dt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 192

Laminate expansion gap

Needs a gap all the way around.
As long as the nails do not go into the flooring when installing the 1/4 the company could careless what color it is.
Was there a vaper barrier laid down before the flooring went in?
Is this a basement?
Some laminite is not even rated for below grade installs, that's why I'm asking.
Most companys want a vaper barrier padding and all the seams glued when installing over concrete.
They should have used nongypsum floor leveler. Gypsum will soak up moisture and fall apart.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 192

Laminate expansion gap

I'd be telling them to stop, contact the company that made the flooring with your questions and get it in writing.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 0

Laminate expansion gap

I tried contacting the manufacturer but their websites contact page is just a email form. Can't find any phone numbers.

It on the first floor above ground level.
Concrete slab and they did put down a vapor barrier.

I'm not sure what kind of float they put down.

--Daniel
silicon_dt is offline   Reply With Quote