Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-02-2010, 10:13 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

laminate or ceramic tile

Which flooring is the better choice and/or the easist to install Laminate or ceramic tile?

velmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 10:26 PM   #2

laminate or ceramic tile

better choice really depends on location/preference.

ease of installation, I would say laminate. Tile is not hard, just more prep and indepth.

Ed4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Jack of all, master nope

laminate or ceramic tile

What room? If you are putting it in a room that will get wet frequently like a bath or perhaps a mud or laundry room I like tile, but not the uber smooth stuff. It becomes ice like when wet and stepping out of a shower and ending up on the floor could be a embarrassing quick trip to the ER. However tile does hold up nicely and gives a room more "pop" than laminate. If you have the time and $$ go tile.
rss021815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

laminate or ceramic tile

Quality bamboo or cork and grab the renewable resource tax credits.

Laminate flooring is pretty for a few days. There is no way to refinish it though. All you can do when it fails is carve it off the floor and dumpster it.

Tile, if you buy decent stuff and a box or two of extra pieces? You can fit in replacements as needed. Laminate floor folks suggest you can do the same with their products but I have never seen this work out well.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:48 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 25

laminate or ceramic tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdsester View Post
Tile, if you buy decent stuff and a box or two of extra pieces? You can fit in replacements as needed. Laminate floor folks suggest you can do the same with their products but I have never seen this work out well.
I did that with laminate and it worked fine. We're planning to replace our laminate with tile for the look though. I like how laminate isn't cold to walk on and doesn't shatter glasses as easily when you drop them, but definitely like the look of ceramic or other tiles better.
dahlias987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:29 PM   #6

laminate or ceramic tile

Thank you all for your feedback. We are putting new flooring in a kitchen and living area. We trying to figure out what to for the transition. I have a sample of Tuscan Stone that I like for the kitchen area and am considering a vintage cherry or a natural oak. The walls are panelling, light in color. Trying to talk hubby into letting me paint them, but right now he is against it. Hoping that the room won't be too "woodsy". Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Velmac
velmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 11:41 PM   #7

laminate or ceramic tile

I do flooring for a living. I would say tile all the way, but depends on the look your going for. If tile is installed right, you should not have any problems. Laminate is a lot easier to install, but does not like water. Expensive laminates will hold up to the moisture better than the cheap ones. I mostly install tile, and if you even think water might be an issue, do tile. I did install lam in my house, don't hate it, but I know how to care for it. I would have rather put in wood, but I have a slab house and didn't feel like glueing down engineered wood, plus I have a 1 and a half year old german sheperd puppy. She would have torn up the wood. Hope I helped, Tony.
sourek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 75

laminate or ceramic tile

Is it wet or dry? because if you know that you will have pee on the floor it would be better to have tile. But if you are going to have it in a dry area with no signs of the wetness then hey you can put laminate ..
Both cover up the junk that is under it. so it should be a good thing.

IceT is offline   Reply With Quote