Laminate Or Carpet Floor For Basement?? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-21-2015, 04:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 30

Laminate or Carpet Floor for Basement??

How to Choose Between Laminate and Carpet Floor for my Basement Living Area? please give me some suggestions on it..

Advertisement

marks.fletchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:05 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 93

Is your basement 100% dry with no chance of taking water? If so my preference is carpet, just feels cozier to me.

Advertisement

Olcrazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 336

I would never suggest carpet in a basement for the reason crazy mentioned. If it ever gets wet due to rain or a leaky pipe or someone spilling stuff upstairs & it finding its way down. If you want a carpet, throw down a big area rug. Otherwise when you carpet gets wet & mildewed its gonna be a PITA to replace.
Hick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:37 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,204

Same holds true for laminate.
At a minimum it must be below grade rated.
Cheaper grades will be MDF or patical board on the back and will soak up water from just moisture rising through the slab and delaminate in no time.
A floating engineered floor would hold up better.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #5
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 2,666

I would go with the carpet. I have installed thousands of yards of carpet in basements. Which means I also pulled up many yds from basements. It was rare to see a carpet that was ruined by moisture.
Due to temperature change, concrete sweats. I'm a firm believer that the moisture will evaporate through the carpet but will just sit under other floor coverings because they are more air tight.
Everyone gives this "doom and gloom" about carpet in a basement. But if you have a major water problem, it will ruin any floor covering.
rusty baker is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty baker For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-22-2015), SeniorSitizen (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 12:20 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4

You may not like it, but it is true. There is no such thing as a basement that won't get water! Some will flood and some will get minor seepage, but EVERY basement will get water. No matter how well built or "water proofed" or how large a sump pump and / or flood control system you install, ALL basements will get wet. Maybe not today or next week, but at some time in the house's life, it will get water. So, the point is not to spend all your time and money trying to put off the inevitable, it is to be smart and arrange your basement so that when the water does come in, it will do little or no damage. Don't put anything that you don't want to get wet in your basement. When you store stuff down there, put it up on shelves or skids, NOT on the floor. Don't finish the basement with expensive furniture and carpeting and, especially not, hardwood flooring (really! Some people actually do this!). Be smart.
www.skillfulhandyman.com

40 yrs. exp. basement finishing

Last edited by dennisht; 03-22-2015 at 12:45 PM.
dennisht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:59 PM   #7
Pro Flooring Installer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisht View Post
You may not like it, but it is true. There is no such thing as a basement that won't get water! Some will flood and some will get minor seepage, but EVERY basement will get water. No matter how well built or "water proofed" or how large a sump pump and / or flood control system you install, ALL basements will get wet. Maybe not today or next week, but at some time in the house's life, it will get water. So, the point is not to spend all your time and money trying to put off the inevitable, it is to be smart and arrange your basement so that when the water does come in, it will do little or no damage. Don't put anything that you don't want to get wet in your basement. When you store stuff down there, put it up on shelves or skids, NOT on the floor. Don't finish the basement with expensive furniture and carpeting and, especially not, hardwood flooring (really! Some people actually do this!). Be smart.
www.skillfulhandyman.com

40 yrs. exp. basement finishing
Maybe 100 years ago, that was true. Technology has come a long way. Some basements never get wet.
Old 03-22-2015, 01:29 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 286

Quote:
Originally Posted by marks.fletchers View Post
How to Choose Between Laminate and Carpet Floor for my Basement Living Area? please give me some suggestions on it..
Neither is good if it gets wet. Tile is best, and I suppose I would pick blue colors or the like to make it into a bit of a living area, and maybe put a rug on top. If it doesn't get wet, I would make sure you keep a bit of extra carpet or laminate someplace it won't get wet, like in the attic or an upstairs closet or off the floor. Wrap it in plastic (so dust won't get in) and make sure you remember it's there, or make a note and leave it in a tool drawer in the room with the flooring.

If you decided to go ahead, I might use a wood laminate. Carpet in basement has been done to death. If you're selling I would think about carpet anyway--it might help show a buyer you're not concerned about water in the basement. It kind of depends on the room, whether there are outside entrances or muddy feet or a boiler, the color of the walls, and other things like that.
Tom738 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:34 PM   #9

Just finished my basement. Bath and kitchen are tile but everything else is carpet. 1500 sq ft so way too much to do anything but carpet. No water worries for the time I plan on being in this house
Old 03-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #10

Concrete slab & tile ontop would be my personal suggestion but hey...your house can do whatever you want.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:25 PM   #11
Pro Flooring Installer

I would think that tile would be awfully cold in Canada.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:40 PM   #12

I'm in Cleveland Ohio so not much worse in winter. It's a basement, 9 feet below grade and frost line is only 36-40 inches below grade. No issues with cold tile, never bothered me or noticed any discomfort
Old 03-22-2015, 11:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty baker View Post
I would think that tile would be awfully cold in Canada.

Well, Not sure how canadians do it but a simple fix ive found for cold feet is warm socks. Maybe they could try that? Not sure if that would be to code or not
Old 03-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #14
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,798

I've mostly had carpeting in our basement and although not a perfect history, it's been better than the alternatives for us. Did VCT at first, then after an interior leak repair job many years ago we went with an inexpensive sculptured with re bond pad. It did suffer a few localized washing machine/laundry tub overflows from the adjacent room, but it survived well enough. Redid the room last year including more new (better quality) carpeting and all is well.

I said not a perfect history for reasons stated plus we do have a rather damp basement. We seem to have a small underground stream near our house and we have almost continuous dripping into the sump well. The pump goes on 1-2 times per hour. Had issues from the 1st day we moved into this new house a long time ago.

I can't imagine me ever allowing a laminate in my house, I've never liked the looks, feel or the noise. Laminate may be good for some people, but not here. Carpeting is at least warmer and feels good. Both are risky unless you live at the top of a sandy hill.

I highly recommend anyone with a finished basement to be sure to purchase the additional insurance required in case of a water backup event regardless of the cause. Regular homeowners insurance does not cover some/most (?) damage from water.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:44 PM   #15

Rewards Points: 140

If those are my only two choices, I'd go carpet.

Laminate is the bottom of the line in flooring products, IMO.

Advertisement

stick\shift is online now   Reply With Quote