Laminate Better Then Hardwood? - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-13-2006, 10:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

laminate better then hardwood?

I have put laminate flooring in most rooms of my house. I picked a higher end product and pay $3.77 a square foot. I started replacing my builder grade carpet with the laminate, because at the time it appeared the most cost effective. It was something I could install myself.

Over the years I have become handier with tools. I am kicking myself for not installing hardwood floors. I can get inch hardwood floor boards for less then $1 more a sq ft (then laminate). Most people who come into my house, don’t know my floor is not hardwood, but I do.

It seems to me that laminate is trying to imitate hardwood so why not go with hardwood.

In what aspect is laminate better then hardwood?

Advertisement

Jack Hass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 11:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Laminate flooring " Floats" has a little give to it when you walk on it and is a tad warmer because of the foam under it, and of course solid hardwood has no give. A lot of people like the Laminate for that reason.

Advertisement

Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 05:48 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Laminate is "just that". A cheaper wood or composite product, with a thin layer of the wood color/grain that you desire. Problem comes when it gets damaged or worn. You can sand down and resurface genuine hardwood floors.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Laminate is "just that". A cheaper wood or composite product, with a thin layer of the wood color/grain that you desire. Problem comes when it gets damaged or worn. You can sand down and resurface genuine hardwood floors.

That is what I am saying. It seems like a bad move to buy high end $3.77 a foot laminate when for just a few cents more a foot you can get hardwood.
Jack Hass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:05 AM   #5

Your right Jack, Hardwood is the better choice for $$$ but you cant always find hardwood priced close to the laminate.. Other things to concider is the laminate is about 1/4" thinner after instalation and that is a lot when it comes to Tansition joints and of course hardwood is more exspensive to install. I have always liked hardwood because its easier to repair and can be sanded and refinished alot more times than Laminate.
Darylh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:40 AM   #6

Nothing beats the real thing.

Love that name by the way.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:12 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 25

I personally prefer laminate to hardwood. Ive lived with and installed both. In my situation, my laminate floors stand up to much more of a beating. Consider that laminate flooring is similar to a formica countertop. It is ALMOST impossible to scratch or dent. In my 1st house I installed 3/4 oak flooring throughout. After a year of heavy use it was scrathed, worn away, and dinged up. My lam floors have held up great. They are also quieter and softer. I found that if you choose a wide plank which is milled to look like one plank and not 3 small planks in one, it looks more real. To each his own I guess, but I would do what is right for the situation and not worry about what people think when the come into my home.

Advertisement

sjrhome is offline   Reply With Quote