Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #1

Share |

Laminate at base of stairs

I'm new to the forum AND to DIY-ing in general, so if I sound like an idiot, it's because I'm learning.

I have several different types of flooring on the first floor of my house - carpet, parquet, and vinyl tiles. I'm currently replacing most of it (all but the kitchen) with Pergo Casual Living laminate. It's been relatively easy so far, but right now I'm trying to do the area in front of/around my staircase.

A single plank is about two inches wider than my staircase.

Is it better to cut one plank to fit in front of the stairs, fitting up against the bottom step and the spindles, and wrapping around about an inch on each side of the staircase? Or would it be better to use two planks, so that there's more plank on each side of the stairs? I'm concerned about having a joint so close to the wall on each side, and I'm worried about having a tight fit with a single plank.

Or is it just six of one and half a dozen of the other?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
daisychain is offline   Reply With Quote