Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
Apprentice

Share |

Laminate Alignment / Baseboard mistake

Hello,

I've installed laminate flooring in my house, but made a big mistake...
I left a big hole/gap between the floor and current baseboards, thinking the quarter round would cover everything up, but it doesn't seem to be the case...

Anyways, I'm posting some pictures, and would like suggestions on what to do...
What comes to mind now is:

1- Put quarter round baseboard around door casings and leave a gap between the baseboard and wall
2- Come up with some type of dark putty (that matches the color of the floor), so it's not too noticeable.

Please help!
Attached Thumbnails
Laminate Alignment / Baseboard mistake-049.jpg   Laminate Alignment / Baseboard mistake-050.jpg   Laminate Alignment / Baseboard mistake-052.jpg   Laminate Alignment / Baseboard mistake-047.jpg  

DSee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:55 PM   #2

You also have the transition strip the wrong place. It was suppost to be in the middle of the doorway.
All door jambs were suppost to be under cut and the flooring run under the jambs not beside them.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:14 PM   #3
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
You also have the transition strip the wrong place. It was suppost to be in the middle of the doorway.
All door jambs were suppost to be under cut and the flooring run under the jambs not beside them.
Ouch... I guess you can spot an amateur's job from distance... I'm not really worried about the transition strip, but I definitely would like to get the quarter round baseboards fixed...
What do you think would be the best solution in your opinion? Cut the baseboards straight 45 degree angles and leave the gap between the door casing and baseboard (shown in pic 2) ?
Old 02-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #4

In the last picture it sure looks like you left no gap between the flooring and the baseboard which will cause the floor to "tent". (buckle up)
FYI, The wide trim that was left on the wall is baseboard, 1/4 round is just that, it's not 1/4 round baseboard.
There just is no great way to cover that up without redoing it. So you do what looks ok to you.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:52 PM   #5

simple fix.

just cut a piece of that flooring to fill the gap, glue it in place, carefully. if you can take up that last piece, it will be much easier to fit in the repair. . then properly cut the 1/4 round. if done well, it will almost look like you didn't make mistake.
Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
In the last picture it sure looks like you left no gap between the flooring and the baseboard which will cause the floor to "tent". (buckle up)
FYI, The wide trim that was left on the wall is baseboard, 1/4 round is just that, it's not 1/4 round baseboard.
There just is no great way to cover that up without redoing it. So you do what looks ok to you.
The last picture shows my starting point. There was a gap on the baseboard, and I was able to place the boards underneath, leaving a little bit of space, so it wouldn't tent. (I know it's hard to see it looking at the pic).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
simple fix.

just cut a piece of that flooring to fill the gap, glue it in place, carefully. if you can take up that last piece, it will be much easier to fit in the repair. . then properly cut the 1/4 round. if done well, it will almost look like you didn't make mistake.
I will try the "glue solution".. What type of glue should I be using?
The 1 & 2 picture are showing the right side of the hall (last piece), pic 3 & 4 shows the left... (first piece, was able to place it under the current baseboard)
I'll take a few more pictures just to give a better idea.

Edit: pics added...

1st picture: hallway explaining what happened
2nd: hallway, taken from opposite side..
Attached Thumbnails
Laminate Alignment / Baseboard mistake-061.jpg   Laminate Alignment / Baseboard mistake-055.jpg  

Last edited by DSee; 02-28-2013 at 09:24 PM. Reason: Edit: added new pic
Old 02-28-2013, 09:35 PM   #7

idk what glue i would use. but do be carefull about what glue you do try = gorilla glue (the one i use anyways) expands like spay foam, just slower. this will ruin your "fix". i would first try wood glue, and experiment on scraps. and don't glue the fix to the floor, glue it to the flooring.

the base board on the right. take it off. the cut a "fix" that fits just right, and glue that little piece to that last piece, let dry and reinstall. then replace the baseboard.

btw, that is some nice looking flooring. what is it ? did you test is for durability ?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #8

Tite Bond II or even Elmers white glue will work.
Just make sure to wipe any extra off with a damp rag asap.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:51 PM   #9

one thing i should have said. making these "fixs" work isn't going to be "easy". you going to be trimming a few .001's of an inch at a time while making them fit. and your probably going to be making mistakes. just take it easy and don't be in a hurry. i am sure you will end up with satisfactory results.

joe, your probably right, tite bond is probably the glue to use. i used it to glue my subwoofer boxs together, no issues at all. though, iirc, the stuff takes a while to dry.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #10

When installing vinyl plank flooring, I had a spot (closet door post) that had an edge gap. I used a caulk that was a good color match to the flooring, and it isn't noticeable.

I like to remove the base trim when installing flooring (I cut back the walls if they aren't gapped at the bottom, too). That way, I have a nice expansion gap, sometimes without having to resort to adding shoe molding.

zakany is offline   Reply With Quote