Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-02-2009, 06:56 PM   #1

Share |

laid t&g pine flooring and now need to sand it

because its a soft wood, i'm afraid. i had posts a while back but was getting ahead of myself and cant find them now. can i use a small orbital sander so i don't take a bunch of wood off? and i want to use an oil base polyurethane after. what grit to start? 150? to 220 thinking.... i called about renting and they only have 100 grit, seems too rough.

brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:28 PM   #2
DIY staff

Brenda, I suggest that you use a 4" hand held belt sander --if the floor is not to large.
A4" belt sander will quickly flatten and smooth out a fresh pine floor.

The machines take a bit of learning--You have to keep them moving constantly. Not hard to learn.

They are a pricey machine to buy--They can be rented,however.

Don't be to tempted to buy the much cheaper 3" one. You need the larger foot print to get the floor flat and smooth.

A random orbit 5" sander would be my suggestion for edges. They are much much faster(and the sand paper lasts a lot longer)

Start with 150 grit--Move up to 200 or 220 for the final.

Good luck,have fun---MIKE----

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenda o View Post
because its a soft wood, i'm afraid. i had posts a while back but was getting ahead of myself and cant find them now. can i use a small orbital sander so i don't take a bunch of wood off? and i want to use an oil base polyurethane after. what grit to start? 150? to 220 thinking.... i called about renting and they only have 100 grit, seems too rough.
Yes, pine is soft so you'll need to be careful. With little to no experience, I'd recomend you go to Menards or some other big box store that rents sanders & rent a 3 or 4 hear random orbital sander. It's very novice friendly & should work very well on the pine.

You're going to start with 36 or 40 grit paper & work your way down to 100 grit. 100 is for sure fine enough. 3 coats of poly on top & you'll be good to go. As you get ready to apply the finish & have more questions, be sure to speak up.
pinwheel45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 09:41 PM   #4
DIY staff

Pinwheel and I must have been typing at the same time!!! HaHaHa--Beat you by 30 seconds--MIKE--
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 11:25 PM   #5

mentioned was the random orbital one. I do have a 3 in belt sander already but didn't think that was a good call. The belt shifts so easy on me. I'll check on the orbital though. Thanks, going for the gusto... i even started it with my palm sander.... thatsssssss work!!!
brenda o is offline   Reply With Quote