Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2008, 03:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Konecto Sierra Jackson Plank Flooring

Looking for genuine help here - not just griping!!!
My husband and I bought $11,103.75 worth of this flooring for over 3,000 s.f. (141 boxes) So far since our construction has gone a lot slower than planned (addition to our existing home) we have only put 1200 s.f. down. We first prepped the floors it was going to be on by vacuuming and then mopping the day before. So no dirt/water was present. The floors sat in our heated garage for 5 months. We then put the floors in the rooms planned on with the boxes upside down and started laying them the next day. A hand roller was used during installation. The first floor is concrete and is heated but at time of installation the heat was not yet hooked up. It is one month later and heat is now on and been on since August 23. There are many seams and ends not sticking. The second room is your general normal wood underlayment non heated floor. We acclimated the boxes for several days before getting to them. They also were stored upside down. This room is the worst. There are seams everywhere coming up. At the ends and also on the sides. We hand rolled and then used the 100 pound roller. We had the roller for over 2 weeks and rolled it several times a day. Finally our flooring company called and asked for the roller back. I thought it may be helpful to use a blow dryer to reactivate the glue so my daughter and I spent about 4-5 hours going over all the seams and using a hand roller again. It is not working. My husband is planning on going back to the store in the next couple days. He is an Alaskan Construction worker and really busy right now. I feel more comfortable going with him and not by myself. PLease help. I think we have done everything right. The ROLL ROLL ROLL AND ROLL AND ROLL AND ROLL. PLus we acclimated more than recommended and stored the boxes upside down. I don't think this product is working for us. I don't want it in the rest of my house at this point. We have two pallets sitting in the other rooms.

NEWLY Added for clarification that the rooms affected are only an addition to our home that was NOT Barricaded from the rest of the house. That means the only way to access the upstairs area would be to climb a ladder. It is directly connected onto our home and WAS also heated with our original 8 year old house. Someone has falsely said it was barricaded (HOW STUPID IS THAT?) January 15, 2009

Please only good helpful advice - no criticism. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by jennydavis; 01-15-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: need to clarify plumber restarted heat August 23 and that we have addition to our home
jennydavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #2
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Did you follow these installation instructions?
(From Konecto):

Radiant Heat:

Subfloors should have operated for at least 3 weeks prior to installation to drive out moisture and calibrate temperature settings. All radiant heat floors should be turned off 3 days prior to installation and remain off for at least 6 days after installation to allow the adhesive to fully cure. Maximum operating temperature should never exceed 85F. Radiant heat components must be a minimum of 1/2” separated from Konecto. This is the only type of radiant heat that is approved.

Temperature:

Flooring and subfloor room temperature should be between 65 and 85 Fahrenheit. Maintain proper temperature for 48 hours before and after installation. After that, maintain temperatures between 55 F and 85 F. The building’s heating and air-conditioning system should be turned on at least one week before installation. Failure to follow these guidelines may result in an installation failure (i.e. flooring may expand or contract resulting in gapping).

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

FWIW: Here is a thread containing more discussions of/about Konecto Flooring failure:

Konecto flooring failure/Don't recommend
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 11:03 AM   #4
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennydavis View Post
Looking for genuine help here - not just griping!!!
My husband and I bought $14,000 worth of this flooring for over 3,000 s.f. So far since our construction has gone a lot slower than planned (addition to our existing home) we have only put 1200 s.f. down. We first prepped Please only good helpful advice - no criticism. Thanks for looking!

Other than the finish, which is AO on the Prestige Konecto, I don't know what makes it different than the other lines of Konecto like Sierra.

What I do know is that virtually every single reported failure of konecto I have ever read about is either due to improper installation or one of the lower lines of Konecto or both. I have not heard yet of one person that did a proper install of Konecto Prestige that has had a problem.

All that said, Are you sure you followed the directions properly for putting konecto over a heated floor?

My Prestige Konecto is great. Only place it lifted a smidge was in a closet area where I was not able to roll properly. I used a poly glue to fix it. i.e. PL poly based construction adhesive.

Jamie
jamiedolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 02:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the radiant floor installation is better than the normal wood underlayment. Go figure. We followed instructions to a T. I think this must be one of those "rare" product failures. The wood underlayment was done perfectly and it is really really bad. We made sure nobody even came into the rooms so no "'potential dust bunnies" could potentially land on the adhesive during installation.
Unfortunately I will have to go back to our flooring center and discuss it. I hate confrontation and complications so hope it goes well.

Sierra is the middle of the road. It is not the most expensive and yet not the cheapest. It is definitely a lot tougher than the Home Depot brand. Sierra has a 12 mil layer on it. Home Depot is 4 mil. I checked it out before I bought it.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:10 PM   #6

Save your investment and hire a professional installer to come look at the job and do whats needed to install it properly.

Someone with experience with the stuff should be able to help you
mike costello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 10:20 PM   #7
Get out of the box!

If you can give me time frame I will tell you if it was included in the batch that failed.
We are one of the nations Konecto internet suppliers
Storing the boxes upside down has no bearing on the acclimation that I am aware of.
We sent a shippment to Anchorage and to date have had no problems what so ever. Using a blow dryer will only destablize the product.
I have repair glue I can send you as a last resort if your supplier cannot get it. I can have it to you within 4 days from purchase or less.
Email me if you want to try it out.
26yrsinflooring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:17 AM   #8

Thank You for your response. We purchased this around the end of February and it arrived the 2nd week of March of 2008. Hopefully that is the issue. My receipt also has the serial # 20070710 if that helps for all 141 boxes.

Thanks again.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #9

Geez,
They're gonna have to make a whole forum for Konecto/ Allure failures on this website
dieselcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 05:59 PM   #10

Exclamation

Those Hurricanes ruin everything.

I am really crossing my fingers that this is part of a bad batch. I love the flooring which is "related' to this. I have seen it in Walmart here and also the Safeway stores. That is what made me want it.

My floor however looks worse than ever. I can't move into my addition until this is taken care of either. I have not done my daily rolling.

Going to the flooring store tomorrow. Hopefully you (26 years in flooring) will be able to find out by then. That way I will able to go with some back-up and feel more confident.

Last edited by jennydavis; 01-16-2009 at 07:20 PM.