Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:40 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Thumbs down

Konecto flooring failure/Don't recommend

We had about 900 sf installed in November of last year. Within a week, the seams began to lift from each other. The installers seemed to have done a good job, taking care to follow the directions precisely. We are now hearing that Konecto has had problems with adhesive failure. The distributor's only comment is to "make a warranty claim". The distributor has taken over a month to file a claim, and the folks at Konecto will barely speak with us directly, insisting we must go through our retailer, who then must go through the distributor. It's frustrating to be at the mercy of someone who doesn't care since they've already obviously been paid for the materials.

We would say - Don't bother with this flooring unless you are prepared to take your chances. Now we will have to tear up the house again - removing the baseboards and all the furniture so the problem can be solved. That is, if the manufacturer, distributor and retailer ever make good on the warranty.

We tried again today to call Konecto directly. They refuse to give us any information even as to the status of our claim, other than to say that there is one. They reiterated that they do not speak directly to the consumer. The claims representative from TriWest (distributor) does not return calls from our retailer. No one from TriWest or Konecto will come out and even look at the floor. We will keep this thread updated.

The Following User Says Thank You to shredlew For This Useful Post:
Oddette Saxon (06-16-2013)
Old 01-12-2008, 11:56 AM   #2

Please do keep us updated. As a flooring retailer we are getting into doing more commercial jobs lately. We are about to price a job on a solid vinyl tile product that is new to us. It's made by MetroFlor, which is the parent company to Konecto. You story has me a bit worried about this product now. I'll have to put a little more research into it before deciding to sell it to anyone.

Old 01-15-2008, 10:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

So far no problems.
I will keep an eye out.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Dont be scared of Metroflor.

Great product as long as its put in right.

Heres a good tip...Roll it roll it roll it roll it roll it roll it.

Then roll it again
Old 01-16-2008, 05:54 AM   #5

The sample we have look very nice. Reading the installation instructions, it looks like it can be a bit tricky if you aren't careful. There are a lot of different adhesives for different applications in the book.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:13 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 81

Shredlew,

Can you advise us what kind of floor you put the stuff on top of? Concrete or wood subfloor? Another poster said he went over concrete.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #7

Thumbs down

We installed the Konecto over both a concrete subfloor downstairs and a wood subfloor upstairs. The Konecto upstairs (wood subfloor) has not lifted. The Konecto downstairs is now lifting everywhere, even places where it has stayed down for a month. It seems to be related to temperature. The colder it gets, the more it lifts. We thought that at least part of the floor adhesive had set. The distributor has said they will replace the floor but since we don't know why the Konecto isn't holding, we can't say if it would just happen again. While our retailer is very responsive, we have not had any inspection from the distributor or manufacturer.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:53 AM   #8

Thumbs down

An update on the Konecto problem. The flooring is now lifting just about everywhere. We would say about 70% of the floor. In order to repair the tiles, the distributor provided us a repair glue from Konecto that seems to be equivalent to Krazy Glue - same consistency, same size bottle. Maybe this would have worked for the occassional corner lifting, but to use this for such a volume of repairs is silly.

The distributor has now offered to replace the whole floor, which is great, but we still don't know why the product failed.

NOTE: KONECTO HAS RECENTLY POSTED A "NEW" INSTALLATION MANUAL ON THEIR WEBSITE THAT REQUIRES THE SUBFLOOR TO BE KEPT BETWEEN 65 AND 85 DEGREES 48 HOURS BEFORE AND AFTER INSTALL. AFTER THIS, FOR THE LIFE OF THE FLOOR, THE SUBFLOOR NEEDS TO BE KEPT BETWEEN 55 AND 85 DEGREES.

We can't figure out how Konecto expects anyone to maintain the temperature of a slab, and we are in Southern California. What does someone in a freeze area do?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #9

I installed a Konecto floor this past summer for some friends in their cabin in northern Minnesota. The understanding with them was that i would put it all in and they would take care of the rolling.... Well, they never got to the rolling. And their cabin is closed up and un heated for the winter, and its currently -15 degrees there. A solid 70 degrees below the reccomended minimum ! Should be interesting to see what it looks like in the spring... A few of the corners were already pulling up in August when it was 85. I'll post up pics in the spring when they open up the cabin and the flooring has all pulled apart and stacked itself neatly in the middle of the living room.....

Last edited by ez-e; 02-10-2008 at 07:04 PM.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:07 PM   #10

I had a really long talk with our distributer, and most failures so far are due to no use of 100# roller.

BUT

he admitted there was nothing in the box that correctly explained the total install instructions.

The distributer is adding new literature to future orders.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #11

We purchased 1300 square feet of Konecto. We installed 800 s.f. on our new home concrete slab. We followed the directions given in the box to the letter. We rented a 250 pound roller. We kept the flooring in the climate controlled house for over a week before install. We installed the floor on a clean slab.
The floor lifted up in all three of the installed rooms. The floor didn't just lift in corners, but in the center-sides-middle-corners, you name it. We called the store where we purchased it from. We called the regional director of the Konecto flooring and he put us in touch with the local representative. The store manager and the local rep inspected our floor within 2 weeks of complaining. They were expecting to find dirt on the joints. That was not the case. The flooring had been installed correctly. They said they would get back to us and in the mean time we were to heat our home to 85 degrees for 5 days and re-roll the floor. We did both of those things. It didn't help at all. The floor was unchanged.
The problems with heating your house to that high of a degree is that it is not a workable environment not to mention the heating bill. I am curious how they expect a slab to maintain the temperatures that they say are necessary for proper bonding. Anyways, even with high heat it doesn't stick.
We were credited the entire cost of the floor and paid $1.25 per square foot of the laid flooring. We returned the unused portion of our flooring. Although our local store and the representative were very helpful and quick to credit us, it was not worth the mess and time. This floor needs to be taken back to the engineering department and re-thought, re-designed, and fixed!
Not a good choice if you want a "sure thing."
Old 03-05-2008, 02:22 AM   #12

This thread has really got us concerned. We thought we had finally found the right product for our kitchen and entryway-but now we dont know. Do I understand that everyone on here has had BAD experiences with konecto? Or is it only the floors that were on slabs? Does anyone know anyone that has some good to say about it? Or any other products that are similar but with better results? We were hoping to install this sometime in the next month...so now we are in a quandry. Luckily we have not purchased any yet. PLease give advice or tell us who could.
Thanks!
Jeanine in Kodiak
Old 03-05-2008, 05:55 AM   #13

My sales rep for the local distributor was in a few days ago. I asked he about any problems they've had with it and he says he's seen quite a bit of it go out with no complaints at all. It may not be as widespread a problem as it seems. You just never hear good stories about anything. It's always the bad stories that pop up.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:24 PM   #14

The stuff i installed was on a properly prepared wood sub floor and i still had problems. The reason my friend went with the product was on a recommendation from her mother in laws mailmans cousins dogsitter who has a condo in florida and has had 0 problems with it and loves it. I don't know what to tell you about other people having it work well, maybe the batch we got was made on a friday. From my personal experience i can't recommend it, but i have heard of others having success with it.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppameth View Post
My sales rep for the local distributor was in a few days ago. I asked he about any problems they've had with it and he says he's seen quite a bit of it go out with no complaints at all. It may not be as widespread a problem as it seems. You just never hear good stories about anything. It's always the bad stories that pop up.
I sell the stuff, and so far no problems.
trust me, I pay attention to stay clear of products before they affect my clients.
so far not enough info to warrant major concern.

Poppa is right. only the bad ones pop up.

Closed Thread