Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-16-2009, 11:43 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Unhappy

Konecto flooring does it work

Hello,

We have reviewed many of the comments regarding Konecto flooring. We recently purchased 253 sq of the product, after reading all the instructors and going on line for additional help we are some what concern about Konecto flooring. Reading all the nightmares about tiles becoming unglued, temper issues and having difficulty with the manufacture Metro-flooring we are not sure that we should move forward with the installation.

Is the floor working for anyone at this time or not? The last posting I read was posted in 2008. We want to know if we are making a mistake with this floor or should we try to return all the unopened boxes to the retailer.

Thank you,

D. Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 AM   #2

Konecto flooring has been the topic of heated debate here in the past. With that in mind, I moved this thread here to the flooring section where it can get exposure to those in the know.

I'll remind everyone that this site is not for product bashing or promotion, so let's keep the commentary productive and constructive. Please reference Nathan's thread regarding product bashing here: http://www.diychatroom.com/f2/how-si...ct-site-37099/

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 16

There are at least 2 long threads on Konecto in the flooring section. Read those and the differing opinions and see what you think. A couple of them are 11 pages back.

Last edited by rusty baker; 08-17-2009 at 12:25 PM.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 07:32 PM   #4

No bad issues for me the last 2 years.
but then again, I have them professionally installed.
Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:31 PM   #5

I recently installed almost 500 sq ft of Konecto "Prestige" planks as part of my basement reno and so far I am completely satisfied with the product. I am a weekend DIY'er, not a professional and this is the largest flooring job I have yet attempted. After reading many of the negative comments about the product on other threads, I admit that I was nervous about selecting it for my floor, But based on my requirements (durable, waterproof, pet friendly, ease of installation) and my reading of what some of the "cooler heads" on this forum had to say, I decided to take the plunge.

I scrupulously followed the instructions downloaded from the Konecto website in doing the subfloor prep work and installation. I opened the boxes and acclimated my stock for three full days in the basement prior to installation I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to cut & lay. I was able to do my entire basement solo in 1 1/2 days. I hand-rolled every joint as I installed, rolled small sections of the floor intermittently with a rented 100# tile roller and then rolled the entire floor twice at the end (once each direction). 1 1/2 months later and I have seen absolutely no sign of adhesive failure.

The ONLY concern/difficulty I had occurred when I needed to reallign a plank I was actively laying. The adhesive takes VERY quickly- once two strips are in contact for any time, under very little pressure, they are hard to separate without possible damage to the adhesive strips. Therefore, I found the best technique was lay my working piece at about a 30-45 degree angle to the plank(s) already down before laying it flat, taking extreme care to ensure it was lined up properly and square before laying it flat. I'm sure I went much slower than an experienced flooring person would have, but I am a cautious perfectionist. Overall, I am proud of the job I did.

My wife and I are very happy with the outcome and I would definitely use Konecto again for the right application and recommend it to others.

One side note on safety: I started out scoring & snapping the planks using a utility knife and straight edge. That eventually led to a rather bloody accident as I got tired toward the end of the first day of installation. The knife slipped off the straight edge the wrong direction and I lopped the corner tip of my left index finger off, which in turn led to a visit from the paramedics and a six-hour stay in the local emergency room. For Day Two of the install, I switched over to a safer option- a pair of heavy duty utility shears to cut the planks. I would recommend that others take that option as well for safety's sake. Finger is on the mend, although I may have some loss of feeling & flexibility above the first joint.

I can honestly say I put blood, sweat and tears into this reno- and I love the results.
Greytguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #6

I installed about 300 sq feet of this product about 6 months ago. The installation was so incredibly easy. I put it down over very old concrete, in my basement bedroom, replacing icky carpet. I am currently building a house, so I wanted to try the Konecto before I put it in the new house. Since the carpet in our house is disgusting and will need to be replaced anyway, I figured I had nothing to lose. Let's face it, this product is inexpensive and a very easy DIY project.

As I said, the installation was very easy. I cleaned, vacuumed, and mopped the area before applying the Konecto. I acclimated the boxes, upside down, for more than 3 days in the room they were going in. It took about 1/2 day to do 1/2 the room, stopping to walk the dogs and make lunch for the kids. I used a utility knife and a square to cut the planks when they needed to be cut. The horizontal cuts were more difficult, but do-able.

I left a gap around the edges, which was covered with the 1/4 round when I was done.

I absolutely loved it right away. I kept an eye on seams (after reading all the same threads you have). When I was putting it in, I had a few "if-y" places, so I used super glue on those while I was putting it down. By "if-y", I mean that it was a corner, or around a door jamb--something that was not just a typical flat piece with no special cuts.

About 2 months ago, I was cleaning up a spill that had run under my bed. That was the first time I noticed a seam that had come apart. I pushed it back together and checked it a few days later. It was still together. Since then, I have found a few places like that. They all seem to occur on an area that doesn't have traffic--under the bed, in a corner where no one walks, in the closet. I just push them down. If they come back up, I stick a little super-glue in, and it doesn't come back up.

That being said, I will probably not use this in my new house because I ordered a skid of very inexpensive wax-edged laminate that I also tried out in my current home. The laminate is less expensive, easy to install, and if it is horrible, I only paid $1.09 plus the underlay.

So that's my experience.
Cecosugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 10:46 PM   #7
Certified Installer

Are we not supposed to mention that many people have had problems with Konecto and that Metroflor has been reluctant to respond? Over on another board is a person with 7000 sq ft of Konecto with adhesive failure and the only response they get from Metroflor is to reglue the joints with superglue.

Last edited by samfloor; 08-22-2009 at 10:03 AM.
samfloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2009, 12:13 PM   #8

why Sam?
I am in the flooring business and we can say that about every manufacturer out there.
Fact is: Konecto is incredibly DIY friendly and incredibly popular.
So your going to hear about a ton of issues online.
that's just the way it works.
It doesn't mean it's a bad product. In fact it means it's a very good one.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:12 AM   #9

Here we go again........
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
Pro Flooring Installer

Rewards Points: 16

I don't think the big issue is if Konecto fails or not. All products, no matter how good, will have some failure. It just seems from the posts I have read here and elsewhere that Metroflor has not responded well to the actual or percieved failures.
rusty baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 05:36 PM   #11

I myself fell in love with the Konecto Exotic Woods but I am scare to buy if for my kitchen. I just want to lay it over exiting vinyl. Can someone reply if they have had good experience for 2009

Last edited by Shanta1218; 09-17-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Shanta1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 08:57 PM   #12

if anyone is scared of Konecto then there are many other choices in LVT for you to pick from.
it's like hearing about bad experiences with a car. if you don't like it, try another manufacturer.
Mannington's Adura is an example of an alternative choice.