Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-05-2010, 09:22 AM   #1

Share |

KONECTO floating vinyl slat flooring

I have read the older posts related to KONECTO floor problems. It appears that these problems are associated with the self-stick type of tile. I hope this is a correct assumption.

I would like to install 800+ sf of KONECTO floating vinyl slats (4" X 36") on floors that are 110 years old. Surprisingly, the floors are in pretty good shape. However, I will also install 1/4" plywood subflooring. There is a slight cupping on the original floor that the thin vinyl slat will adapt itself to.

Has anyone had any experience with this type of floor? Any install tips? Problems?

Thanks for your responses.

retdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Doer of Many Things

If you have the type that has pre-glued edges that you press together when installing then this is the same type of floor that everyone has been complaining about. Konnecto just has a very touchy installation system. You have to do it perfectly and hope it was well packaged to begin with to avoid edge bending. If all conditions are not perfect it tends to have issues. Armstrong and Congoleum have their own version of this out now with a better adhesive system. There are others on the way. Naturelle has one coming that doesn't use glue at all. It clicks together like a laminate floor and is cold stamped on a flat surface to make sure it has no tendency to peak. I'd be hesitant to use Konnecto at all if you floor is not perfectly level. The tile may lay down over it but it's still causing stress on the glue joint that can lead to the problems already mentioned.

poppameth is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to poppameth For This Useful Post:
retdguy (09-05-2010)
Old 09-28-2010, 08:26 AM   #3

I originally purchased the Konecto tile flooring and afterwards talking with the retailer was told they returned all their stock because of problems with not sticking to each other. He then recommended the plank style because he thought it had no such problem. Nope--within a day the flooring was lifting. Would go right back in place but still won't stay. Retailer now says to use Super Glue to hold the flooring down. Won't use this product again.
hartind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #4

Some of the earlier production runs had bad glue which didn't stick. I'm willing to bet most people don't follow the instructions with Konecto flooring. YOU MUST HAND ROLL THE SEAMS AND THEN ROLL IT WITH A HEAVY THREE WHEEL ROLLER. I can't remember if its a 100 lb or 150 lb roller. Floor must be vacuumed. Re-roll it again. Konecto's website should be updated now with the installation instructions. They had the old instructions and they were very vague, not clear on some points. Konecto flooring comes with a wax type paper stuck to the glue to keep it clean. Rolling and keeping the glue clean are two key points with konecto. I wouldnt be afraid of it, just do as the instructions say which should be what you do with any floor.
JCW355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:16 AM   #5

We had an initial installation of Konecto Flooring installed about 5 years ago in our loving room, hall and study. There were no issues with it so we decided to have it put in our family room. Well we put it in three times due to curling and lifting of the tile. The store where we purchased it was extremely responsive, even having the distributor out to look at it. After 3 floors all installed by a professional we finally have one that stays down. We bought it because it is waterproof and had a quality warrenty. I will not purchase any more as it scratches horribly. I live in the desert and sand is unavoidable. I do not think the product is worth the hassle.
radsmom is offline   Reply With Quote