Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:39 PM   #1

Share |

Knocking sound when people walk by my bedroom

There's a wall between my bedroom and the dining room area and when people walk somewhat near the wall, it makes a knocking sound (single knock, like someone knocking on a hollow wall). This happens more often in the winter and very seldom in the summer. It's not one specific spot either, it happens when you walk anywhere along the wall.
I live in Canada and our basement isn't insulated (yet) so our basement is relatively cold. We just have vinyl flooring. I don't know if it's simply the subfloor, or the wall not being very secure to the floor so I didn't really know where to post this. I also don't know how many layers of plywood were used for the subfloor.

Any idea what this could be? I was hoping that when we do insulate our basement, it won't happen again.

Last edited by dtran; 01-15-2009 at 10:44 PM.
dtran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #2
Tileguy

Knocking sound when people walk by my bedroom

It could be any number of things. You're going to have to pay close attention and maybe inspect closely.

Could be the; subfloor, framing, water pipes, drain pipes, the heating air ducts.

Although the sound may be coming from inside the wall, I would say it is caused by something people are walking over.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote