DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Knocking sound when people walk by my bedroom

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  JazMan 
#1 · (Edited)
There's a wall between my bedroom and the dining room area and when people walk somewhat near the wall, it makes a knocking sound (single knock, like someone knocking on a hollow wall). This happens more often in the winter and very seldom in the summer. It's not one specific spot either, it happens when you walk anywhere along the wall.
I live in Canada and our basement isn't insulated (yet) so our basement is relatively cold. We just have vinyl flooring. I don't know if it's simply the subfloor, or the wall not being very secure to the floor so I didn't really know where to post this. I also don't know how many layers of plywood were used for the subfloor.

Any idea what this could be? I was hoping that when we do insulate our basement, it won't happen again.

#2 ·
It could be any number of things. You're going to have to pay close attention and maybe inspect closely.:detective:

Could be the; subfloor, framing, water pipes, drain pipes, the heating air ducts.

Although the sound may be coming from inside the wall, I would say it is caused by something people are walking over.

Jaz

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.