Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen underlayment questions for porcelain

Hi everyone,
I am planning on having porcelain tile laid for my kitchen floor & was wondering if anyone had recommendations regarding underlayment. I am on the 3rd floor of a condo building & my subfloor is a concrete slab (not sure of its thickness).
For my LR & BR I am planning on using floormuffler under 3/4" advantech as underlayment for a strand woven bamboo floor, but I know that kitchens are a different ballgame (so to speak).
Thanks to everyone here!

eis61374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 12:38 PM   #2

Ditra.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:52 PM   #3

Thanks Rippy, is there any sort of insulation &/or underlayment that is recommended to be put down first? Or should the ditra be laid directly on top of the concrete?
Thanks for your advice.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:11 PM   #4

In a normal install, attached via thin-set to the concrete. Does your building have any requirements given you're having tile on concrete, that could be loud for the lower neighbors...
Old 11-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #5

Ahhhhh..yes I believe the condo does require some sort of noise barrier. In that case could I perhaps lay floormufler on the concrete & then place some sort of underlayment (perhaps advantech) on top of that, similar to what I am doing for the bamboo install? From there would I be able to install the ditra/porcelain over that?
Thanks again!!!!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Tileguy

I don't understand why Advantech is being considered in this installation? Advantech, plywood or OSB, should not be installed on a floor other than regular suspended wooden joists construction. You said the floor is concrete.

Concrete? Maybe, maybe not. Usually these floors are Gypcrete or similar, not concrete. There is a difference.

You need to figure out what it is for sure, also confirm that a noise reduction method is required, (usually is), and what db reduction factor is recommended etc. Get the facts, report back.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #7

Hey Jaz how's it going?
According to the builders/developer it is a concrete sub-floor. The structure of the current flooring (that I am removing) is as follows:

*1/8" insulayment http://www.mpglobalproducts.com/insu...fications.html laid over concrete & haphazardly duct taped at the seams
-on top of that-
*Two(2) layers of 3/8" plywood laid "railroad style" & screwed together
-on top of that-
*3/4" white oak stapled at a 45 degree angle into the plywood

Are you saying the Advantech &/or plywood, osb should not be used at all when installing over concrete? or just not in a kitchen? If you mean not at all then what is your recommendation re: the proper installation for porcelain tile in a kitchen (& strand woven bamboo in a LR & BR) when the sub-floor is concrete?
Thanks for any help.
PS
Since the insulayment was installed at the time of construction, & the floormuffler surpasses the insulayment in noise reduction, I believed it would be fine. Plus it has a moisture barrier. Am I dumb for thinking this?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM   #8

Bump. Anyone? Jaz?
Old 11-13-2008, 11:46 PM   #9
Tileguy

Ceramic tiles are adhered direct to concrete or over a membrane of some type. There is no approved method to install plywood or anything similar to concrete and then expect a successful ceramic installation. There is no need or benefit to your plan to use Advantech.

You may need to install a membrane direct to your concrete if there are any cracks or joints in the concrete. Some membranes come in liquid form. There are membranes that bridge cracks, are a waterproofing and are noise reduction. Often noise reduction is stipulated in multi-family buildings such as yours. The management will tell you the specs.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 12:24 AM   #10

Thanks so much Jaz. I will look into Ditra for the kitchen. Regarding wood floor installation thruout the rest of my apartment, could you explain why advantech should not be used when done over concrete? I cannot get thru the distributor.