Kitchen Tile Job Planning.. ? .. - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen tile job planning.. ? ..

Flooring DIY newbie..

I pulled some stuff apart, to make sure that I understand how i'll do the interfaces. Currently, it's a vinyl floor with a plywood underlayment. The walls have a molding, then a smaller strip of qtr rounded wood at the bottom.

Realizing that the kitchen cabinets and Island are secured on top of the vinyl and underlayment...I'm not sure how this should be handled and want to make sure my "common sense" isn't flawed. I'm thinking the vinyl/underlayment be dremeled (or something similar), close to the cabinets...then once the tile is installed, I could use qtr rounded wood strips to hide the tile to cabinet interface..is that a reasonable approach?

Secondly, I'm thinking the floor molding does not need to be removed and raised (tile will sit 7/16" higher than existing floor), except for the doorframe vertical moldings. It looks to me like I could hide it all with the qtr rounded strips without extending the tile underneath the moldings...am I missing something? Will upload photo's if needed and thank you!!

Advertisement

stoneda7086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,332

If you are installing ceramic tile,the existing sheet goods and 1/4" underlaayment needs to be removed.

After that 1/4" cement board set in thinset--then the ceramic tile.

Let us know about the floor structure (so we can figure out of it is strong enough for tile)

---Mike---

Advertisement

Old 02-27-2011, 11:30 AM   #3

Roger and thanks Mike...I've done quite a bit of research, and so far, am confident in the basics. My snags in planning only concern the question about cabinet interface, and if there's a need to pull all of my baseboards and lay the tile underneath the baseboards...I know that sometimes, what seems so obvious can be a problem later. Thanks!
Old 02-27-2011, 11:37 AM   #4

Also, for clarity...

It's porcelain tile I'm installing..I do plan to pull out the vinyl/underlayment but not the cabinets. The floor structure isn't something I've researched closely..It's 1st level above a basement..the house is 7 years old. I've made the assumption that it can support tile!?!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM   #5
DIY staff

Thinks to consider---Dish washer and fridge clearance----will they go back in?
I always tile under the dishwasher---

If you post the floor structure one of us will check the charts for you--floor joist type--length--

Plywood or OSB and how thick?----Mike---
Old 03-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #6

Thanks, will get some photo's of the floor structure..Yes, I'll be laying tile under the refer, stove and dishwasher..
Old 03-03-2011, 06:56 PM   #7
DIY staff

I usually pull off the baseboards---So often the baseboards will end up looking short after the tile is installed---or the new tile makes the old baseboards look sad and tired.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 25

I don't know how well a dremel is going to work for you. You might consider investing in a Toe-Kick Saw. It's sole purpose is to cut straight down flush against cabinetry, so you can pull the vinyl/luan and leave it beneath the cabinets. Harbor Freight sells one, it's cheap and not a great design, but it should work. An oscillating Multi-Tool might work as well if not better.
It's probably best to leave the base board in place. That way it still matches up to any other room it runs into (as opposed to raising it over the tile). Shoe molding (or quarter round) will cover the edge no problem.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Allow me to recap and add a thing or two along the way.

Remove the vinyl and any underlayment associated with it. With the age of your house it is most likely a 1/4" plywood underlayment was installed with the vinyl installation. This vinyl is probably the original (as built) floor. If there should be another floor covering under the first, remove it also.

If you go back to the original subfloor, you shouldn't have a clearance problem with the dishwasher going back on top of the tile. Same goes for the fridge if it is under a cabinet.

Any tile installation also needs a tile-backer product, there are many. Whatever you choose the tile-backer and the tile must have a minimum of 1/4" gap between the tile and the wall. You can leave the baseboard but you will have to remove the quarter round trim. This will let you gap to the baseboard and then replace the quarter round to cover the open gap. Do not grout that gap.

An oscillating multi tool will cut the vinyl underlayment away from the cabinet toe easily and will be less expensive than a toe kick saw. By the way, a toe kick saw is one of the most dangerous power tools ever created by man. Steer clear

Now, this brings us to the door casings and door jamb sides. You can easily undercut them so you can tuck the tile under them. This will produce a professional look and you won't be fussing with any weird cuts.

It is likely with the age of your home that the floor structure will support a tile installation easily, but let's make sure.

We need to know:
The type of floor system you have? (Trusses, I-Joists, standard joists.)
What are their two measurements?
How far apart are they?
How long is the unsupported span of those joists?
What material is the subfloor made of and how thick is it?

It has also been mentioned that all cement board tile backers MUST be set into a fresh bed of thinset then fastened mechanically. You will also need to tape the seams of the tile backer and fill the joints with thinset as you install the tile.
Old 03-05-2011, 11:44 AM   #10

Thanks for all the great information/advice!! After thinking about it for a week and with your thoughts, I've decided that I'll pull the baseboards, although more difficult I think its the right way to do it for me. Now I understand your questions about the dishwasher etc.. It's something I've overlooked since I was so focused on the transitions. Thank you for bringing that up...I might not be able to tile under the dishwasher..I'll look into the toe kick saw versus using an oscillating tool. Again thanks!!

Now for the floor structure and if it's suitable for tile/cement backerboard in terms of weight load etc. From the stamp (on the bottom of the flooring), it shows 23/32". The joists are pre-manufactured. The longest unsupported section appears to be 14'. The joists are about 19.5" apart (center to center). From the bottom, I'm attaching a photo of the stamp shown on the floor material...any advice on it's suitability is appreciated!
Attached Images

Old 03-05-2011, 11:53 AM   #11

Here's another photo, I think they're I-Joists....
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen tile job planning.. ? ..-dscf0029.jpg  
Old 03-05-2011, 03:08 PM   #12
DIY staff

We need the size of the I-joist--and check the spacing again--16" and 24" are customary--19"? odd-
Old 03-05-2011, 03:15 PM   #13
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,620

Spacing of 19.2 inches is also a legitimate joist spacing.
Better structurally than 24" spacing, cheaper than 16" spacing.

19.2" X 5 = 96"
oh'mike (03-05-2011)
Old 03-05-2011, 07:43 PM   #14

Definitely must be 19.2, I checked multiple joist spacing with 2 measuring devices, just over 19" center to center.

The joist measurement from top to bottom of "I" is 9 1/2". The bottom and top width if the "I" is 1 3/4". It appears that the width of the plywood used in the joist is 1/4" according to my measurment.

Advertisement