Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 AM   #1

Share |

Kitchen range install and backerboard on tile floor

Hi there,

I'm trying to install a new gas range in the kitchen that has an existing tile floor.

I removed the old gas range, and I see the backerboard right there.

However, the backerboard is 1/8" below the tile, so when I slide the gas range into place the front legs are on the tile surface while the rear legs are on the backerboard (lower position).

The simple question I have, is if

- I just need to lengthen the rear legs of gas range so the range would be level -- when pushed into place,

OR

- I need to place an additional piece of plywood over the backerboard so the front and back of the range is on level ground and I won't need to lengthen the rear legs on the gas range.

Thx.

joemc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:32 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemc3 View Post
Hi there,

I'm trying to install a new gas range in the kitchen that has an existing tile floor.

I removed the old gas range, and I see the backerboard right there.

However, the backerboard is 1/8" below the tile, so when I slide the gas range into place the front legs are on the tile surface while the rear legs are on the backerboard (lower position).

The simple question I have, is if

- I just need to lengthen the rear legs of gas range so the range would be level -- when pushed into place,

OR

- I need to place an additional piece of plywood over the backerboard so the front and back of the range is on level ground and I won't need to lengthen the rear legs on the gas range.

Thx.

either will do ... or you can buy some coordinating tile and tile it ......

CitadelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:03 AM   #3

If it really is tile board, it's going to soak up stains and grease like a sponge.
I'd suggest finishing up the tile and sealing the grout.
JetSwet (07-16-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 12:29 AM   #4

So normally do people install floor tile over the whole kitchen floor -- including the area where cabinets are, or leave that area w/ no tile but just bare backerboard?

The way I see now, I think all of the area underneath all the kitchen base cabinets -- there's no tile but just backerboard (I can see the backerboard under the dishwasher).

Is that wrong?
joemc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM   #5
DIY staff

There are several schools of thought about tiling under the cabinets or not---

All show areas should be tiled--like your stove and refrigerator---I tile before installing the cabinets when building a new kitchen--I want the cabinets at the correct height (not sunken into the flooring)---Plus it is faster to install the tile without all the cutting around the cabinets.

Just a neater installation method. Some people tile up to the cabinets after they are installed---I don't understand that thinking----Mike----