Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-02-2013, 01:37 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen Flooring Replacement

Hi all. I am going to replace my kitchen floor. It currently has one-piece rolled out vinyl. I am wanting to replace it with vinyl self-adhesive tiles.

Attached is a picture. the rest of the house has laminate flooring installed on top of actual hardwood flooring i believe. House is from 1950's.
I am unsure what is under the kitchen vinyl.

Is it possible just to lay the vinyl tiles on top of the existing kitchen floor? i think there is only one section of damage on the floor where the roller of a fridge dug into it and crumpled it up. im sure i can cut that out and level it somehow.

Any input would be appreciated.

bubbrubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 01:58 PM   #2

You expect vinyl self sticks to last when attached to one piece vinyl???

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
Floor Installer

Let's see, someone covered real hardwood with laminate and you want to cover sheet vinyl with peel and stick? That's a real upgrade.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sam floor For This Useful Post:
Dave Sal (04-03-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 06:07 PM   #4

I dont know what to expect. thats why i am here looking for assistance. you dont see how ugly and stained it looks so i would consider it an upgrade.

and yes it sure looks like real hardwood under this laminate (they didnt do the closet areas). but i think it is locking laminate so it can be taken out later if need be.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #5

Peel and stick tiles are the lowest of the low grade of flooring.
And your right we can not see how bad it is without a picture.
You got everyone going when you mentioned someone went over hardwood with laminite. Laminite lowers the value of a home, hardwood increaces it.
I'd wonder why they did not do it right and refinish.
If they did that then I'd bet they used a cheap linolium on that floor
A quality sheet vinyl would not have been effected by a ref. rolling over it.
What's the linolium layed over? There should be 1/4 underlayment grade plywood under it.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Peel and stick tiles are the lowest of the low grade of flooring.
And your right we can not see how bad it is without a picture.
You got everyone going when you mentioned someone went over hardwood with laminite. Laminite lowers the value of a home, hardwood increaces it.
I'd wonder why they did not do it right and refinish.
If they did that then I'd bet they used a cheap linolium on that floor
A quality sheet vinyl would not have been effected by a ref. rolling over it.
What's the linolium layed over? There should be 1/4 underlayment grade plywood under it.
Apparently everyone got their panty's tied up. I have no idea why they did what they did. That is the way I acquired the home. I could be wrong too as I only assume everything was hardwood on the basis they didn't do the closets and I see hardwood there.

I have a picture attached but it is hard to see the stains. I don't know what else to put on the kitchen floor. I am not wanting to spend a load of money on it. I do not know what is under the rolled vinyl since I have not peeled any of it up yet.

Can tiles be placed on top of the plywood? What else can be used in the kitchen (that isn't 200$ a sq foot)?
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen Flooring Replacement-imag0055.jpg  
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #7
Floor Installer

If you put down peel and stick, you will be doing it again in 6 months.
sam floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #8

To answer your question simply, yes, you can install the peel-n-stick on top of the vinyl/lino floor. However, you must first prep the vinyl/lino by cleaning and applying a primer. Then, if the vinyl/lino has any embossing, you must use an embossing leveller. After applying the embossing leveller, sand flat, vacuum, use a damp cloth to pick up any dust left on the surface. Then, you can apply your peel-n-stick. Factor in materials cost and your time. And then, as others have said, shake your head in disgust, in 6 months, when the peel-n-stick tiles have shrunk/moved and you're left with dirt-collecting lines that are impossible to clean.
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #9

Any recommendation then besides the stick-on tiles?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:55 AM   #10

This is probably not going to be what you want to hear but you really need to strip the floor down to the hardwood. If the hardwood can be refinished, then that is one option. Hardwood might not be the best choice for a kitchen due to spills but it will beat selfstck tiles in appearance any day and if you are careful it will be ok. If the hardwood is too thin to refinished or in terrible shape, there are other options. Ceramic is good, laminate generally is not. Sheet vinyl has come a long way and it is durable, waterproof and atractive.
If you don't care about raising the floor height which could lead to other issues, you could put down another 1/4 inch underlayment on top of what you have and then put sheet vinyl on top. However, this is not the route I would take.
My advice is to go to a flooring store (or even a big box store), look at what they have and then make your decision. Once you see something that you like, before making a purchase come back and a person knowlegeable on flooring can advise you on the pros and cons of your choice.