Kitchen Flooring - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 14

Kitchen Flooring

I will be remodeling my kitchen. I plan on putting 3/4 x 3" solid oak in the dining area, and tile ceramic tile in the kitchen. The floor is covered with linoleum sheet goods. All is level and linoleum is tight on the floor. Do I need to remove the linoleum or can I lay tile on top of it. What would I need to use? Would I be better off laying cement board over the linoleum then apply the tile? Thanks for your help.

Advertisement

msgbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 800

Kitchen Flooring

I think you are best off removing the linoleum and starting over. The problem is that you may find it easier to remove the underlayment with the linoleum than to scrape and scrape at the linoleum (asbestos).

I recently removed a kitchen's worth of tile which was installed directly over the linoleum and it was a sound floor. I think a premium mortar was used because I was having to break each and every tile into small pieces to remove it. I next removed the 5/8" underlay with the linoleum, which left me a layer of 5/8" sheathing. I went over this with 7/16" osb, then 1/4" densshield.

Make sure you have the structure (floor joists and sheathing) under the floor for a tile floor.

Advertisement

cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:32 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,382

Kitchen Flooring

How is the floor built? How many layers of wood and how thick is each? How old is the house?

Chances are there is a sheet of " ply under the sheet vinyl. Take that to the curb and tell us what's there now.

Let's start with the basics. Tell us how the floor is built starting with the joists and work up. Include the size of the joists, their on center spacing and the span. Then tell us what you have as the subfloor and then anything over the subfloor.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:49 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 14

Kitchen Flooring

Thanks for your reply. My home is a ranch style house built in 1963. The kitchen is an open design with the kitchen cabinets and appliances on one end with a dining area on the other. The floor is constructed of 1/2 plywood over 2" x 12" joists spaced 16" on center. There is linoleum covering the entire area over 1/4" subfloor of OSB which has been nailed over the plywood flooring.
msgbob79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:33 PM   #5
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,382

Kitchen Flooring

In those days many builders were using " ply as the subfloor. In the kitchen they installed a good grade of ⅝" over the subfloor covered with the resilient floor. This made it level with the rest of the house which was " hardwood over the subfloor.

I'm pretty sure this is how your house was, but someone removed the ⅝" underlayment and installed " OSB. That does not meet specs for flooring as far as I know. So, are you sure it's ", did you read the markings from underneath?

Let us know so we can guide you.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote