Kitchen Floor Tiles HELP!! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-04-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
XI LOVE U X

Rewards Points: 10
Send a message via MSN to helenfromtheblock Send a message via Yahoo to helenfromtheblock
Exclamation

kitchen floor tiles HELP!!

Hi my kitchen has floor tiles but i dont like the colour, i would like black ones instead i have been told that the tiles that i already have are going to be very hard to take out, could i tile over the origional ones?

Advertisement

helenfromtheblock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

if it is ceramic tiles, the you will need to remove them.
expensive decision, but it's possible.

you may be able to install over the top, but I would not take the chance.

ceramic tiles right?

Advertisement

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
registered

Rewards Points: 524

Those tiles will not be hard to take out. Go to the equipment rent a center in your area. Rent a air hammer. Take the air hammer start it on the grout line then angle it under the tile. I guarantee you all that tile will come up no problem. My rent a center had the electric air hammers which was nice. You will have those tiles up in probably 2 hours. Depending on the size of your kitchen.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:05 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenfromtheblock
Hi my kitchen has floor tiles but i dont like the colour, i would like black ones instead i have been told that the tiles that i already have are going to be very hard to take out, could i tile over the origional ones?
What type of subfloor are they over, wood, with a mud job or CBU, or over a concrete slab?

I doubt you'll be ready for new tile in 2 hrs., if over wood subfloor, the layer under the tile will have to come up as well if damaged from removing the tile and the thinset too.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:44 AM   #5
XI LOVE U X

Send a message via MSN to helenfromtheblock Send a message via Yahoo to helenfromtheblock

Hi guys thanks for replying, to be honest im not sure whats underneath the tiles and yes i think they are ceramic and they seem pretty solid. I did get told it would be a very hard job and messy lol. how much would it cost to hire that electric thing? dont think id be able to do it myself lol we'd prob have to get someone in to do it for us so it will prob be an expensive job as well huh
Old 03-05-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
registered

It depends on your area how much it will cost to rent a air hammer. Shouldn't be over 80 dollars for the day. I guarantee you its worth it. Those tiles will come up no problem. Teeter will even tell you that. Just call up and ask. Ask if they have a electric airhammer you can rent. Most places rent by 4 hours or the day. Well thats the way mine is. Just make sure your going at a angle once you get it started under the tiles. You just want to get under the tiles. Like i said the grout line is the place to start straight down then angle quick to get under the tile. You can do it yourself. No problem Don't you have a son or husband to help or boyfriend?

Ps AIR CHISEL HAMMER. ELECTRIC

Last edited by 747; 03-05-2006 at 03:40 PM.
Old 03-05-2006, 05:12 PM   #7
Home Improvement Guy

To find out what your subfloor is just remove a heat register and have a look under there. You should be able to see what it is.
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenfromtheblock
Hi guys thanks for replying, to be honest im not sure whats underneath the tiles and yes i think they are ceramic and they seem pretty solid. I did get told it would be a very hard job and messy lol. how much would it cost to hire that electric thing? dont think id be able to do it myself lol we'd prob have to get someone in to do it for us so it will prob be an expensive job as well huh
Is this a slab or wood floor?, doesn't matter exactly whats under the tile if a wood floor, if it's not on a concrete slab, it will be harder to remove the tile without damaging what's under them, and if CBU was used and applied correctly, a pry bar and alot of back breaking work is ahead.
R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&D Tile
Is this a slab or wood floor?, doesn't matter exactly whats under the tile if a wood floor, if it's not on a concrete slab, it will be harder to remove the tile without damaging what's under them, and if CBU was used and applied correctly, a pry bar and alot of back breaking work is ahead.
He is correct if you don't rent a air chisel hammer.

Ps. Where is teetor at? Tell her teetor. Oh wait a minute teetor saves his airhammer for the detail work..LOL

Last edited by 747; 03-05-2006 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:42 AM   #10
XI LOVE U X

Im in uk by the way.....what on earth is a heat register? Yeah i have a partner but hes got no diy experience and not too sure if my 2 yr old son could help lol.
Old 03-08-2006, 10:47 PM   #11
Home Improvement Guy

A heat register is the little tin, wood, or plastic grill in the floor where the air blows out from.

Advertisement

ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote