Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen Floor Tile

I'm preparing to tile my kitchen floor, and I have a few questions.

- Will tile make my kitchen cabinets seem shorter?

- Will I need to use backer board in the kitchen, or just tile over the wood flooring?

- I've previously tiled a bathroom floor and VERY happy with how that turned out. However, I would very much welcome any tips or advice for doing the kitchen area.

Thanks in advance for any help!

MokkNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 02:31 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

Kitchen Floor Tile

I've always used some type of backer under tile, especially in a kitchen where moisture could be an issue. Any type of wood subfloor is subject to
expansion and contraction due to temperature and moisture. As far as cabinets being shorter, depending on the thickness of your subfloor, you could probably get by with 1/4'' underlayment which would bring your finished floor about a 1/2'' higher..

frazierdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Kitchen Floor Tile

I suggest you do a search here and do some reading. There are MANY threads in regards to tiling a floor. Your questions are pretty basic which tells me there's a lot more you need to know when it comes to having a successful tile installation. Do some reading and then if you have additional questions, feel free to ask.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:02 AM   #4

Kitchen Floor Tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
I suggest you do a search here and do some reading. There are MANY threads in regards to tiling a floor. Your questions are pretty basic which tells me there's a lot more you need to know when it comes to having a successful tile installation. Do some reading and then if you have additional questions, feel free to ask.
I did several searches, yet didn't find anything in regards to my specific question about counter height. Plus, I welcomed any tips specific to the kitchen area since I was already posting. But hey, at least you sound important.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #5
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Kitchen Floor Tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MokkNoir View Post
I did several searches, yet didn't find anything in regards to my specific question about counter height. Plus, I welcomed any tips specific to the kitchen area since I was already posting. But hey, at least you sound important.
Wow. Fairly bitter for someone coming here to get FREE advice.

Well let's see. If you tile to the cabinets, they will be technically shorter by the amount of the backerboard + tile thickness...could be 1/2" to 3/4".

You need a tile underlayment. You also need to have a structural sound subfloor system before you install tile. If you did search, you should have found plenty of threads about joist size, subfloor type and thickness and backerboard options.

Now you're not going to get mad if I don't personally come to your house to help you for free, right?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:24 AM   #6

Kitchen Floor Tile

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Wow. Fairly bitter for someone coming here to get FREE advice.
Sorry, not bitter, just didn't care for the noobie directions like this was my first forum. It might be my first post on this particular forum, but they are all basically the same just dealing with different subjects.

Again, the main point that I was driving at with my post; I wanted to know if the tiling would cause any noticeable difference in counter height that could be an issue; such as causing back strain or being noticeable enough that it could potentially be a problem later, like when selling.

Quote:
Now you're not going to get mad if I don't personally come to your house to help you for free, right?
Are you kidding, I'm already mad that you're not finished with the job! I find your work ethic somewhat lacking when it comes to what I want!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM   #7
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Kitchen Floor Tile

Quote:
I wanted to know if the tiling would cause any noticeable difference in counter height that could be an issue; such as causing back strain or being noticeable enough that it could potentially be a problem later, like when selling.
Nope. Happens all the time. Unless you install 1/2" backer and then 1/2" tile, then maybe. Otherwise, no one will notice the difference.

Quote:
Are you kidding, I'm already mad that you're not finished with the job! I find your work ethic somewhat lacking when it comes to what I want!
Sorry, but the commute is a bear....