Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

kitchen floor opinions

I will be doing my kitchen floor in about a month. We are trying to get the most ROI because we will be putting house on the market next year. we would like to appeal to the masses with small budget $1100 for flooring.

Kitchen is around 400 sqft. we have pantry (with water heater in) and laundry room as well in the kitchen. We are keeping the existing cabinets mounted.

We are leaning towards vinyl sheeting. Opinions? I have never installed.
Is vinyl sheeting and laminate sheeting two different floors

Just looking the tile snap together planks look the easiest to install (never have installed before just assuming) But we are having problems matching counter tops and cabinet color to the snap tile.

I want to stay away from peel and stick tile due to all the seems.

Ideally ceramic tile would probably be the best but most expensive.

(is there a user friendly program that i can draw out floor plans for this post and future post so that readers can get an idea of what i'm working with)

thanks

brizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #2

kitchen floor opinions

My builder had installed vinyl sheet flooring up to the cabinets. It curled up at those edges. I enjoy ripping that out and throwing it away.

In my opinion, snap together anything isn't easy to install. To me, mixing a bucket of thinset or nailing boards down is easier than fiddling with lock tabs. It's not as hard as it looks before you try.

I'm a fan of porcelain tile in kitchens, baths and utility rooms but I'm also a fan of running it under the cabinets and giving them a sturdy, level base.

zakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 140

kitchen floor opinions

Zak did someone leave out the 1/4 round that would have held down the flooring?
Tile would be nice just a whole lot more prep work.
Need to now the joist size, spans, spacing, what's there for subflooring.
Not just any floor can be tiled.
Even if you had to pay someone to install the sheet flooring it's a simple enough job that it would not cost to much for them to do it.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
"You can do anything"-Mom

kitchen floor opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzle View Post
I will be doing my kitchen floor in about a month. We are trying to get the most ROI because we will be putting house on the market next year. we would like to appeal to the masses with small budget $1100 for flooring.

Kitchen is around 400 sqft. we have pantry (with water heater in) and laundry room as well in the kitchen. We are keeping the existing cabinets mounted.

We are leaning towards vinyl sheeting. Opinions? I have never installed.
Is vinyl sheeting and laminate sheeting two different floors

Just looking the tile snap together planks look the easiest to install (never have installed before just assuming) But we are having problems matching counter tops and cabinet color to the snap tile.

I want to stay away from peel and stick tile due to all the seems.

Ideally ceramic tile would probably be the best but most expensive.

(is there a user friendly program that i can draw out floor plans for this post and future post so that readers can get an idea of what i'm working with)

thanks
My vote is for tile. A picture of your kitchen would be great.

Tile really isn't any more expensive than anything else. Especially since you are selling.

Maybe including a flooring credit in the listing is a better way to go.

I have vinyl sheet in our kitchen now. When we bought the house last May we knew we were tearing it out.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #5

kitchen floor opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by brizzle View Post

thanks

Google has some free CAD software available.
http://www.sketchup.com/product/newin7.html
Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote