Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 PM   #1

Share |

Kitchen floor advice in old house

Hello all. I need help deciding what to do about my floor. We have an older (1940's) built house and are redoing the kitchen. it is a galley kitchen and once the cabinets are in it will be about 150sqft of floor space.

ISSUE: when we bought the house there was tile in the kitchen. tile started cracking as did grout. we found hard wood under the living room carpet (we were able to make it nice again) and saw it ran under the tile. We have removed the tile and found two layers of linolium on top of wood. we have gotten up all but the final glue residue. the floors can not be salvaged. (no sturctural issues, just not gonna be nice ever again)

So I want to know what I should put down over this. I have been highly considering the click together waterproof vinyl. BUT the kitchen is in two sections (house had additions put on as family grew) and the older and newer(ish) floors are not total even. if we lay the 4ft level from across the bubble is still within the lines, just a bit off. Will this affect the floating floor?? should I look for another option? and if, what? (no worries, I do know to install cabinets first and floating floor second.)

Sorry long winded. Please help

Thanks.

wingedmare3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #2
JOATMON

Wow....your kitchen sounded like ours.....you don't live in S California by any chance do you?

Like you....layer upon layer....rip it all out. Get down the to sub floor....the labor to try and clean it up is not worth it....

If your sub floor was like mine...it will be 1x6's across the floor joists at an angle.

We put T&G 3/4 plywood down on top of our sub floor. We then put down vinyl....as soon as the addition is done....we are ripping up the vinyl....it damages too easy.

If your subfloor and floor joists are up to it...I would go tile. If you do it right, cracking won't be an issue.

The key is that you have it all open right now...so now is the time to do it right.

Report back what the span is....what your floor joists are (how tall and the spacing) and what your sub floor is....

Jaz is our expert....with that info he will chime in and give you the straight scoop....

Oh...and welcome to DIY....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 09:46 AM   #3

Yes I am I. Social, in the desert. I don't have time or money to rip out beyond where we are and do tile. I really dislike the tile any way the sub floor is I think 2x4 laid over the joices. But the old part and new part are different. It is a very minimal change from one to the other (like I said, bubble still in the lines of the level). What has this a bigger mess is this, hubby is a Marine, he was supposed to have leave this week to do this stuff. Leave got canked last minute. Countertop measurement is supposed to b the 18th and now I can put in my cabinets! Ack!
Old 03-09-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
Tileguy

Sounds like you're saying the old sheet vinyl (or linoleum) was glued direct to the hardwood planks. Maybe not, maybe you had tarpaper over the hardwood? But really, the hardwood should be removed. It's not doing you much good strength wise, and you'll still have to install more plywood too. If you keep the hardwood, the floor will be that much higher.

You're gonna want to make both sections flat. I don't understand what the deal is since you've removed some flooring. Was it ever flat? By your description it doesn't sound flat. If you could supply some figures we'd have a better idea how out of plane it is. Like; 1/2" in 4 ft. or...........? You're not that worried about level, you need flat.

Lots of choices for new floors. I doubt there such a thing as waterproof click together vinyl. However, no one needs a waterproof kitchen floor. Even ceramic floor aren't waterproof.

What to do now? All depends on your answers and choice of flooring. Double check the subfloor, you said 2x4.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:45 PM   #5

Yes it was glued right to the wood. I do not mind a slight rise of the floor. However I was under the impression the snap together did not need anything under it. I have not removed any floor other than the tile and linoleum. I am saying what I saw where a section of the hard wood had been broken and pieces missing. I am not in a position to tear out the floors to the joices and start new. I am already going over budget finding what I found under here. I am just trying to find a solution that will lay nicely on the floor and do no more harm. I work two jobs and DH is only home weekends so getting time to do this is tough as getting the money.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
Tileguy

OK, floating floors are very forgiving, but they still need to be flat, otherwise the sudden ridge will show and eventually break the tiles. Do you have a specific item in mind?

I specialize more in permanent floor/walls like ceramic floors and showers, etc.

However, it's hard for us to give advice if you say you definitely will not do "X". I guess the issue now is; which specific floor, and we need to see the substrate and evaluate what it's like.

Quote:
I am saying what I saw where a section of the hard wood had been broken and pieces missing.
Obviously you need to fix that. Got pics?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 03-09-2014, 03:25 PM   #7

Yes it was glued right to the wood. I do not mind a slight rise of the floor. However I was under the impression the snap together did not need anything under it. I have not removed any floor other than the tile and linoleum. I am saying what I saw where a section of the hard wood had been broken and pieces missing. I am not in a position to tear out the floors to the joices and start new. I am already going over budget finding what I found under here. I am just trying to find a solution that will lay nicely on the floor and do no more harm. I work two jobs and DH is only home weekends so getting time to do this is tough as getting the money.
Old 03-09-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Tileguy

Aha, you're gonna copy and paste the same answer huh?

How much does it cost to remove the old planks? (if it was necessary?) I know you're limited on time, so you won't be done as early as you thought. Who ever guesstimate correctly? It's never happened yet.

Yes floating floors are more forgiving, I said that. That's why all you have to do is fill the bad areas and skip the new plywood most all other floors require.

Would still like to see pics, and know what specific floor you're considering.

Jaz