Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2004, 05:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500
Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

kitchen floor advice

I've brought my kitchen floor down to the sub floor. I scraped off the old vinyl tile. There is some kind of white paper stuck to the sub floor except where the seal was weakened by water penetration through the years.

Should this white paper be removed? It's not coming off the with scraper.

Should I retile the whole floor (not sure yet on material) or just tile the areas that aren't covered by fixtures? Ie: sink, dishwasher etc...

Is there any sort of preperation I need to put before the tile? vapor barrier etc...

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2004, 07:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

kitchen floor advice

hmm...I have no clue...I just work here...

just kidding...the thread over at the other site seems to be the one we are using on this...

Floorwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
RENONUT

Rewards Points: 10

kitchen floor advice

before you can do anything you need to decide on the type of flooring ie:sheet ,stone tile wood this is nessessary to decide on the required subfloor if you are going to use vinyl os similar you should lay down a 1/4 inch wood subfloor so the floor is flat and smooth if you are using self stick tiles appy a coat of water base primer to the new sub or they wont stick,ceramic or similar you will need to add 1/2 o2 5/8 backer board or plywood you do not need any vapor barriers unless you are using hardwood and then only felt roofing never plastic ....hope this addresses you question
RENONUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

kitchen floor advice

In most cases today you would not have to remove the white sheet, I am assuming that it is the remains of a vinyl that had existed there at one time. But if you go with vinyl would need to skimcoat over it or have it removed.
IceT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 04:34 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

kitchen floor advice

It would be nice if you have rugs flooring after your kitchen door. So if you will go out in the kitchen, your slippers wont be wet.. And if your still going to the kitchen, you could wipe your slippers first before entering..

Last edited by arearugsdealer; 03-21-2011 at 04:46 AM.
arearugsdealer is offline   Reply With Quote