Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #1
cis

Rewards Points: 10

Kitchen backsplash and baywindow combo

Tiles in bay window were cracked around the front ledge.
After removing tile discovered reason tiles were cracked was because surface was not level under tile in that area. Purchased water resistant subfloor board 53"x13" to lay on floor (secured in place with screws) of bay window to even out surface. Backsplash wall surface is drywall. Anywhere the removal of tile did damage to drywall (as well as where dips in wall occured) I've filled in with polyfil and sanded as smooth as possible. Question #1 - How am I doing so far???

Tiles will be floor ceramic tiles (will be cut possibly to 13x6, but not sure yet) to match my kitchen floor. The store suggested I use OmniGrip maximum strength adhesive (which I'm reading a lot of negative reviews about) on both wood and drywall areas.
Question #2 -Any opinions on this??
Grout lines will be 3/16. Unsanded grout. SurfaceGard to seal tile and grout was also recommended.
I am asking for your expert opinions and suggestions before I start this project. Thank you.

Last edited by cis; 02-10-2011 at 03:46 PM. Reason: need advice ASAP will be doing this right away
cis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:06 PM   #2
cis

I forgot to mention in my last post that I have not used a primer on the polyfilla areas "yet" because I'm not sure if I need to do that. I'm in the middle of this project, so any advice would be greatly appreciated as soon as possible. Thanks so much

Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

You can not use a 3/16" grout joint with unsanded grout. The largest joint is 1/8" and that is to big IMO. Sound like the products you are using come from HD. I would go to a real flooring store and get product that we most of us now more about.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
cis

Thank you for that woodman58. I will take your advice and I will take the grout back. You're right about HD. The staff there are very nice and I think they 'try' to help. Maybe they don't have the proper training..?? Are you familiar with the OmniGrip? Would it be better for me to return that as well and find a good quality thinset for the drywall and wood base instead? Also was wondering if I need to put a coat of primer on the drywall filler?
We tiled about 800sq ft of flooring with product purchased from Totem and so far we've had no problems with it. "Ask The Builder" Tim Carter doesn't know how helpful he was with that project.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:23 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

I worked part time at HD for a while. The training they get is very limited and only to the products they sell, not necessarily the best products out there. I have never used Omnigrip. I have only used there premium mortars.
woodman58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:31 PM   #6
Builder/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis View Post
Tiles in bay window were cracked around the front ledge.
After removing tile discovered reason tiles were cracked was because surface was not level under tile in that area. Purchased water resistant subfloor board 53"x13" to lay on floor (secured in place with screws) of bay window to even out surface. Backsplash wall surface is drywall. Anywhere the removal of tile did damage to drywall (as well as where dips in wall occured) I've filled in with polyfil and sanded as smooth as possible. Question #1 - How am I doing so far???

Tiles will be floor ceramic tiles (will be cut possibly to 13x6, but not sure yet) to match my kitchen floor. The store suggested I use OmniGrip maximum strength adhesive (which I'm reading a lot of negative reviews about) on both wood and drywall areas.
Question #2 -Any opinions on this??
Grout lines will be 3/16. Unsanded grout. SurfaceGard to seal tile and grout was also recommended.
I am asking for your expert opinions and suggestions before I start this project. Thank you.
Wood does not make a good substrate for tile, even in the best of conditions. Do you have a picture of the window in question?

I'm trying to visualize your application.

Windows get large extremes in temperature and humidty, which means the wood will expand and contract a lot--which will no doubt cause your grout lines to crack.

Is this a window over a kitchen counter? (Assuming so because of the backsplash.)
ChrWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 10:00 PM   #7
cis

The bay window is built in above the sink and beyond counter/backsplash to extent out (hard to describe) Don't know if I can send a picture from iphone.. technology but I will try. So is it ok to tile on drywall?? I can take the board off and replace with drywall if that will work?
Old 02-10-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Builder/Remodeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cis View Post
The bay window is built in above the sink and beyond counter/backsplash to extent out (hard to describe) Don't know if I can send a picture from iphone.. technology but I will try. So is it ok to tile on drywall?? I can take the board off and replace with drywall if that will work?
Tiling over drywall for the backsplash is fine. The wood bottom of the bay window is not ideal. I would recommend a tile backer be installed first, instead of the wood you used to bring your level up.

DensGuard/DensShield is very easy to work with--cuts and installs like drywall.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:35 PM   #9
cis

Thanks ChrWright. DensGuard/DensShield Is that something I would find in the local hardware store??
2 other questions still left unanswered if you could help me out were #1 whether or not I should use primer on polyfill and #2 whether to use the omnigrip maximum strength adhesive, or a good quality mortar/thinset instead?
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen backsplash and baywindow combo-bay-window.jpg  
Old 02-11-2011, 07:27 AM   #10
Builder/Remodeler

DensGuard or DensShield (either one is fine) are carried by the home centers in my area--with some variation from store to store. HardiBacker, Durock, or PermaBase are also acceptable but harder to work with.

I've not worked with OmniGrip so I really can't say. With the right substrate it would likely be fine.

If I were installing your tile, I would use a premium modified thinset. Yes, I recommend you prime your wall repairs.

As an alternative--have you considered a stone slab for the bottom of the bay? (granite, quartz, etc.) Most granite fabricators have lots of remnant pieces laying around their shop and you could likely get one at a very reasonable cost.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:10 AM   #11

i agree with last post. look into purchasing a stone remnant from fabricators scrap yard. 3/4" material will suffice. the can laminate a piece onto the front so it looks like 1 1/4" thick. as far as the walls, you can tile those with a coordinating wall tile or even natural stone as well if budget allows. Tiling will work but will require constant grout cleaning as area is by sink. (Spills, overspray). The plywood substrate will work if using premium thinset mortar, but water-resistant CBU's are better. Use sanded grout and impregnating sealer from tile store.

acglobal is offline   Reply With Quote