Kerdi Basement Shower - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2009, 02:04 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Kerdi Basement Shower

Basement Kerdi Shower
Hi all,

I'm in the process of putting a 33"x33" shower stall in the basement. Currently I have framed the walls and covered them with green board, and I have been looking more and more at this Kerdi system.

My plan is to make a mud bed right on top of the existing concrete, and cover everything with the Kerdi fabric, and slope it all to drain properly.

Has anyone ever used this method WITHOUT using the Kerdi drain kit? I realize it is recommended to use the kit, since it provides a 4 inch overlap into the drain.

But at a $100 for the drain alone, this system is not cheap! I was thinking about using a traditional 2" ABS drain, and running the fabric overtop of that.

Basically the same way as the old method with a rubber line, except using the Kerdi fabric.

Any thoughts/ideas/suggestions???

Thanks!

Advertisement

ldogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,580

Kerdi Basement Shower

THANK YOU.

What you propose is not a industry-sanctioned method.

No real way to seal the KERDI to the "traditional drain" as you call it. What about the necessary lip for the tile making it flush with the drain top?

There is no way to bury the KERDI and isolate the walls with the KERDI at the same time if that's what you are thinking.

Advertisement

Old 09-13-2009, 03:14 PM   #3

Kerdi Basement Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
THANK YOU.

What you propose is not a industry-sanctioned method.

No real way to seal the KERDI to the "traditional drain" as you call it. What about the necessary lip for the tile making it flush with the drain top?

There is no way to bury the KERDI and isolate the walls with the KERDI at the same time if that's what you are thinking.
Ok - Thanks for the info.

My method would require to slope the base slightly for the drain after the Kerdi has been applied, therefore it sounds like this is no good.

What it sounds like your saying is I should go for the Kerdi drain and follow the instructions accordingly?

I'm not sure if there is any way around this, however I would rather do it properly and not have to deal with any leaks or issues in the future.

Thanks
Old 09-13-2009, 03:46 PM   #4
Tileguy

Kerdi Basement Shower

Quote:
What it sounds like your saying is I should go for the Kerdi drain and follow the instructions accordingly?
That would be my suggestion.

There are a few sound methods available to you but jury-rigging something when it comes to water is always a costly mistake.

By the time you do what you are suggesting, that $100 drain won't sound so expensive.

Now, tell me where you are finding the KERDI Floor Drain for $100, I can't buy them that cheap. And I buy several a year.
Old 09-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #5

Kerdi Basement Shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
That would be my suggestion.

There are a few sound methods available to you but jury-rigging something when it comes to water is always a costly mistake.

By the time you do what you are suggesting, that $100 drain won't sound so expensive.

Now, tell me where you are finding the KERDI Floor Drain for $100, I can't buy them that cheap. And I buy several a year.

Home Depot sells the drain kit alone for $99 in southern Ontario.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:02 PM   #6
Tileguy

Kerdi Basement Shower

Quote:
Home Depot sells the drain kit alone for $99 in southern Ontario.
Son-of-a-gun!!!

I pay about $118 for the basic S/S drain on line straight from Schluter.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:03 PM   #7

Kerdi Basement Shower

One other thing I was wondering about...

Do you think I still require to built a traditional mud pan on the existing concrete pad with the vinyl liner?

I was thinking I wouldn't need the liner since it is directly on concrete, and the liner is generally used to protect a wooden floor on an upper level house?

Ultimately, if the whole shower is being covered with Kerdi then it should be water tight anyway... Correct?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Tileguy

Kerdi Basement Shower

Quote:
Ultimately, if the whole shower is being covered with Kerdi then it should be water tight anyway... Correct?
The requirement is to have a sloping floor. The gradient is to be not less than 1/4" of slope per foot of run.

If you don't cast a second layer of concrete the KERDI Drain won't have a place to go. The base of the drain requires some subsurface room. You could dig out the existing concrete to accommodate the drain I suppose.

Quote:
I was thinking I wouldn't need the liner since it is directly on concrete, and the liner is generally used to protect a wooden floor on an upper level house?
The "liner" is to collect and channel the water, protecting a wooden structure is a result of collecting and channeling the water.

I guess I'm confused. You don't need a liner AND the KERDI. Only one is needed.

Advertisement

Last edited by Bud Cline; 09-13-2009 at 09:30 PM.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote