Just Took Up My Master Bath Floor Help!! - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #1
Jamcou2020

Rewards Points: 10

Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!

Hi All this is my first post, I would like to say hi to everyone on the site and to thank all of for your help. My girlfriend wanted me to replace the floor in our home in the master bath. The original flooring was Vinyl. I would like to replace it with tile flooring. To my amazement when I finished pulling up the vinyl flooring I found what looks to be mold to me. I am a novice to this type of work. Please see the pictures below any advice is greatly appreciated thank you all.

Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0662.jpg

Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0663.jpg

Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0664.jpg

Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0665.jpg

Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0666.jpg

Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0668.jpg

Advertisement

jamcou2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Yep, prolly is. It's not uncommon in a bathroom that hasn't been built to be waterproof. Actually, in my experience when you demo a bathroom, you will find mold.
The layer of material that has the adhesive still on it should be removed too. I'm assuming it's a layer of luan (or similar) that has been stapled to your subfloor. If it is, tear that out also. You'll have to remove the toilet to fully get it out.
When it comes to putting a new floor down, consider using Ditra instead of the typical cement backer board.
By the way, not only do I see potential mold, I see Amstel!!!!

Advertisement

Old 12-30-2008, 08:35 PM   #3
Jamcou2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by angus242 View Post
Yep, prolly is. It's not uncommon in a bathroom that hasn't been built to be waterproof. Actually, in my experience when you demo a bathroom, you will find mold.
The layer of material that has the adhesive still on it should be removed too. I'm assuming it's a layer of luan (or similar) that has been stapled to your subfloor. If it is, tear that out also. You'll have to remove the toilet to fully get it out.
When it comes to putting a new floor down, consider using Ditra instead of the typical cement backer board.
By the way, not only do I see potential mold, I see Amstel!!!!
LOL yes, that would be an Amstel. All work and no play =BORING. Thanks for the advice did you noticed the mold part on the wall? Do I have to replace the sheet rock also? One more question after I take out the underlayment, if there is mold on the subfloor what do I do?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:09 PM   #4
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

I'd also be concerned with finding the source of the water as well. It appears as though there has been water leaking from either underneath the shower pan, or possibly from the plumbing that is in the far wall?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:18 PM   #5
Jamcou2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
I'd also be concerned with finding the source of the water as well. It appears as though there has been water leaking from either underneath the shower pan, or possibly from the plumbing that is in the far wall?
Yes, I think I forgot to mention that the caulking of the tile inside of the shower and along the outside and inside base of it was done very poorly. The home inspector pointed it out to me before I bought the home. I am thinking that poor caulking inside of the shower caused that water damage. now I am worried about the damage that could be behind the tile of the shower. That would mean I would have to rip out the shower also?
Old 12-30-2008, 09:30 PM   #6
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Yes, I'd replace the affected drywall area too. Tear about about twice as much as you'd think you should just to be safe.
I'm not sure if the pan itself would be leaking. I suspect you'd notice water damage on the ceiling below where the shower is if that were the case. I'd bet it's simply water from get into/out of the shower or if the shower door drips when opened after showering. You'd be surprised how little water it takes to start growing mold. It's a high humidity area that's probably under-ventilated. Most builders put the absolute minimum of everything in a new home unless you pay for the "upgrades". That or you could check the caulk between the shower pan and the tile. That may be the culprit too.
I just moved into a foreclosure that's less than 4 years old and I have the same situation in one of my bathrooms. There is vinyl flooring and very little caulk remaining between the floor and shower pan. The shower door drips when opening too soon after turning the water off. There's not much you can do about the situation except for caulking better and perhaps upgrading to a better fan. But that's hindsight right about now.
Consider getting Densarmor drywall. It's paperless and therefore, can't support mold growth. Buy a sheet and replace some of the lower portions of the existing wall. Tear out the luan and see what's under it. If you do find mold, I'd buy a product specific to killing mold. There's a debate whether or not bleach is the answer. I personally think it's a temporary fix at best. If you have a dehumidifier, put it in that room after you treat any affected portions of the subfloor to dry out the room. Remove and recaulk any spots in the shower that may need it.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
onlinehandyman

Rewards Points: 75

You definitely want to rip out what was underneath the vinyl as well. It is probably luan which comes out very easily with a pry bar and a hammer. Mold is bad stuff you want to get all of it. As I saw mentioned before the cause is probably from just getting in and out of the shower, but make sure that it's not something else such as a leaky toilet. You really don't want to have to rip up a new floor at a later date to fix the problem when you could take care of it now. Also definitely tear out the affected sheet rock. If you have mold on the front, you probably have mold on the back.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 01-06-2009 at 06:13 AM. Reason: SITE RULES VIOLATION: Link Removed from Signature Line
onlinehandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:58 PM   #8
Jamcou2020

Hi all, I just got home from work and riped up a peace of the luan. Please see the pics below. The sub-floor has a lot of mold on it also. So does that mean I have to replace that also??? I don't even want to know what is behind the shower. Should I even check? Also I was wondering will my home insurance cover any of this? This is my first home. It is only 5 years old I can't believe the problems that I am having. Thank you all for all of you advice. I think this project might be going over my head. Does anyone know how much a contractor would charge to replace the show and tile the floor, if i demo everything my self? Thanks guysHi all, I just got home from work and riped up a peace of the luan. Please see the pics below. The sub-floor has a lot of mold on it also. So does that mean I have to replace that also??? I don't even want to know what is behind the shower. Should I even check? Also I was wondering will my home insurance cover any of this? This is my first home. It is only 5 years old I can't believe the problems that I am having. Thank you all for all of you advice. I think this project might be going over my head. Does anyone know how much a contractor would charge to replace the show and tile the floor, if i demo everything my self? Thanks guys..
Attached Thumbnails
Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0670.jpg   Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0671.jpg   Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0672.jpg   Just Took up my master bath Floor Help!!-img_0673.jpg  

Advertisement