Joist Strength - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 105

Joist strength

I am replacing my bathroom floor, including subflooring. Room is 7x10, with three feet of the length only 4 feet wide because of the bedroom closet pushing in.

Currently there are numerous layers of old vinyl and then the original tongue and grove pine flooring boards from year 1888. I knocked out the square built in "modern" iron tub and will be replacing it with a freestanding clawfoot.

The joists are 2.5 inches wide and 8 inches high. The living room ceiling below is totally removed so I can see all the joists and the plumbing is exposed.

I don't know if the square iron tub that I removed is much less in weight than the older restored clawfoot. Both tubs are the same length and about the same width. I think the walls of square iron tub were thinner than the clawfoot, but then the iron tub has more surface because one length and one end have double walls to get the inside shape and the square outside shape.

Though I'll see better when old floor is removed, there appears to be no compromise to the original joists except one joist had a 3.5" long 1" deep cut into it under the floor to accommodate old tub drain pipe.

Question: Can I assume that the joists are safe to hold the new restored clawfoot tub?

Thanks, DiegoJames

Advertisement

DiegoJames is offline   Reply With Quote