Issues With Tile...any Help Is Appreciated - Flooring - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-27-2009, 06:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Issues with tile...any help is appreciated

Hey guys,

New here and hoping you can help me out. I layed a tile floor in my bathroom this winter. It previously had linolium (sp??), which I removed and cleaned up the plywood the best I could before laying the tile. I am unsure exactly the thickness/grade of the plywood subfloor. Anyway, I laid the motar/tile/grout and all was good until spring/summer hit. I assume due to house shifting due to frost leaving ground, a portion of the floor seems to have let go from the motar.

The issues I am now having are that the grout will not stay in the spaces, it just chips out and eventually I a have to regrout (I only did this once, knowing it would not work). And also, when I walk on it, it sounds like rock moving on rock (scraping sound). I assume the motar has let go from the subfloor, but not sure

Anyways, anyone have any idea how I can fix this...it is starting to annoy me.

Thanks for any help!

Advertisement

blinky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:27 PM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,000

It would have helped to do the job right in the first place. Tile is not to be installed directly on a plywood subfloor. The movement is normal for this material and is transmitted into the grout joints. Try using a matching colored caulk to replace the grout. This is more flexible.

Advertisement

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 PM   #3

Thank you, this caulk sounds like it would at least fix the grout issue. Is there a special type of grout that I should be looking into?

And I obviously realize I did not do it properly now. However, I learn by making mistakes so next time I will do it right, so not all is lost.
Old 07-27-2009, 10:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 518

If the stone on stone sound is from the tiles then I don't believe the caulk would work. If the tiles are loose they will shift and eventually I would think the caulk will fail. If it's the tiles that are loose you would be better off just bitting the bullet and ripping it all out and start over doing it right.

The caulk you can get at a tile store, not a big box store. You can also order it online. They make it regular silicone or sanded silicone to match sanded grout.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:53 PM   #5

Yes, I agree that the tiles are no longer mortared to the floor and I was affraid the answer would be to rip it up and start a new. My question with that is, is there anyway of salvaging the tile which is on there now or do I have to go with new tile too?

I may at least try the grout/caulk first just in the hopes that will do the trick for the short term, at least give me til the winter for a winter project.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 12:58 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 518

The caulk would probably get you threw til winter but might get pretty expensive depending on how many tubes you will need.

The tiles won't be re usable when you rip them out.

Advertisement

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote